Limit of ratio of nested radicals

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
garrus
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have a sequence an+1=sqrt(2+an) ,with a0 = sqrt(2)
which leades to nested radicals.

I am asked to show that for n approaching infinity:
1) the sequence converges to 2, and that

2) lim {(an+1 -2) / (an -2)} = 1/4


The Attempt at a Solution


1)I have proven the convergence to 2.
2) for the 2nd limit, i tried de L'Hospital's rule, since we have 0 / 0 , but can't figure out exactly how to find the derivative of an (infinite) nested roots.
- i tried also square differences , but still get to 0/0.

Any hints?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
garrus said:
Any hints?

Yep. Factorize [itex](a_{n+1}^2 - 4)[/itex] and compare with the same expression derived from your recurrence relation.
 
Got it.
Thanks for your help, should've noticed that =[