1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of the nth root of (n ln n)

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1

txy

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find [tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt[n]{n ln(n)}[/tex].
    Do not use L'Hospital's Rule or Taylor Series.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I suspect I need to set up some inequality for this and then apply Squeeze Theorem. But I can't find any inequality that can help me do this. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start by taking the log of the expression and trying find the limit of that.

4. Oct 27, 2009 #3
    You should find something like:

[tex] n \ln(L) = ln( n \cdot ln (n) ) = ln(n) + \ln(ln(n)) [/tex]

5. Oct 27, 2009 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

does
    n<n log n<n^(1+epsilon)
    help?

6. Oct 28, 2009 #5

txy

That's great. In either case, I need to use the fact that ln n < n for all n > 1. How do I prove this?

7. Oct 28, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you need to prove it I think the easiest way is to define f(x)=x-ln(x). Notice f(1)=1. Now can you show f'(x)>0 for x>1? That would show f(x) is positive for x>1.

8. Oct 28, 2009 #7

txy

But this question that I posed is in the Limits chapter of my textbook, which comes before the chapter on Differentiation. I wonder if there's another way to prove that inequality. Perhaps I could change it to the form x < e^x , but I still can't make any progress.

9. Oct 28, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, I think you might be fussing a little to much over this proof, but how about using the definition of e^x. e^x=limit (1+x/n)^n as n->infinity? Can you use that, together with the binomial theorem to prove e^x>x for x>0?

10. Oct 29, 2009 #9

txy

Yes now I can prove it. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook