Limit of x/(sqrt(1+3x)-1) as x approaches 0

  • Thread starter Thread starter KiwiKid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit Value
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
KiwiKid
Messages
38
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the limit of x/(sqrt(1+3x)-1) as x approaches 0.

Homework Equations


The limit laws.

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm really stuck. I've tried multiplying all of it by (sqrt(1+3x)+1)/(sqrt(1+3x)+1), but that didn't work. I can't seem to get that 0 out of the denominator. What am I missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
micromass said:
What did you get after doing that multiplication?

(x(sqrt(1+3x)+1))/3x. Or (x*sqrt(1+3x)+x)/3x if you will. But the 3x still goes to 0, so that doesn't seem to work.
 
KiwiKid said:
(x(sqrt(1+3x)+1))/3x. Or (x*sqrt(1+3x)+x)/3x if you will. But the 3x still goes to 0, so that doesn't seem to work.

You can simplify it: you have x is numerator and denominator.
 
micromass said:
You can simplify it: you have x is numerator and denominator.

Oh, wait! I realize what I did wrong. I'd seen that, yes, but made the stupid mistake of presuming that there would still be '2x' (instead of '3') left in the denominator. *slaps head* Thank you, micro. :smile: