Limit of x/sqrt(1-cosx) Approaching 0 from Negative Side

  • Thread starter Thread starter aquitaine
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
aquitaine
Messages
30
Reaction score
9
Ok, the problem is find the limit of x/sqrt(1-cosx) as x approaches 0 from the negative side.

First I tried simply applying l'hopital's rule to see what would happen, and it didn't work.

Next I tried rationalizing it by multiplying the numerator and denominator by sqrt(1+cosx), then using a trig identity (1-(cosx)^2=(sinx)^2 to get sqrt((sinx)^2) or simply sinx. Then I applied l'hopital's rule and ended up with a big mess that still ended up with 0/0.

Did I miss something or do something incorrectly?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
1 - cos(x) = 2sin^2(x/2)

x/sqrt(1-cos(x)) = x/sqrt(2)sin(x/2)

Using l'hospital's on this does not lead to 0/0.