Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit proof on monotonic sequences

1. Apr 29, 2012 #1
    Consider the sequence [itex] \{ a_{n} \} [/itex]

If [tex] |a_{n+1}| > |a_{n}| [/tex]

Prove that

[tex] \lim_{n→∞} a_{n} ≠ 0 [/tex]

The problem is part of a proof I am trying to understand, but I don't understand this particular step in the proof. Any ideas on how I might grasp this step?

BiP

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Do you see it intuitively?? Did you draw a real number line and draw what such a sequence looks like??

Of course I can just give you the proof, but I prefer that you "see it". If you do, then I believe the proof should be very easy.

4. Apr 29, 2012 #3
    So because the sequence increases forever, it can't be 0 at infinity because if it were, then the term after that would be positive contradicting the fact that 0 is the limit?

But how would I prove this using the ε-δ definition?

BiP

5. Apr 29, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yeah, so basically, the closest the sequences ever gets to 0 is in [itex]|a_0|[/itex]. After that it gets further and further away.

So, what is the definition of [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{a_n}=0[/itex]?? Can you find an ε that works?

6. Apr 29, 2012 #5
    For all positive ε, we can find some N such that whenever n>N, then [itex] |a_{n}|<ε [/itex]. I am working on an appropriate value for ε as we speak.

BiP

7. Apr 29, 2012 #6
    Hey micromass, I have an idea.
    What if we let [itex] ε = |a_{n-1}| [/itex] ?

Then that means there exists N>0 such that whenever n>N, then it must be the case that
    [itex] |a_{n}| < |a_{n-1}| [/itex]

But am I allowed to shift the index of the term by 1 so I can show that it contradicts the premise?

BiP

8. Apr 29, 2012 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yeah, that is the definition for [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} a_n=0[/itex]. But you want to prove that this is NOT true. So you want the negation.

Yeah ok. How would that work?

9. Apr 29, 2012 #8
    Hey micro I just edited my last post. I think it is right, but I confused on why we are allowed to shift the index by one.

In other words, so far we have shown that if [tex] \lim_{n→∞} a_{n} = 0 [/tex] then it must be the case that for some N>0 whenever n>N, then [tex] |a_{n}|<|a_{n-1}| [/tex] which says that the sequence is decreasing.

But the original constraint of the problem is [tex] |a_{n}|<|a_{n+1}| [/tex].

I must have made mistake somewhere or not chosen by epsilon correctly.

BiP

10. Apr 30, 2012 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yeah sure you can shift the index. You are given that [itex]|a_{k+1}|>|a_k|[/itex]for ALL k. So just choose k=n-1.

But something bothers me. You have not defined n. You can't work with [itex] \varepsilon = |a_{n-1}|[/itex] because you didn't declare what n is.
    Why don't you pick a specific value of n??

11. Apr 30, 2012 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Choose an arbitrary n, as micromass suggests, and let [itex]\epsilon= |a_n|[/itex], for that specific n. What happens to the definition of [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty} a_n= 0[/itex] using that [itex]\epsilon[/itex]?

12. Apr 30, 2012 #11
    Why don't we just pick [a][/1] as ε? Then |0-[a][/n]| < [a][/1] for all n > N, a contradiction. Or have I missed something?

13. Apr 30, 2012 #12
    Ok, somehow the font got messed up, but just to make it clear, [a][/1] is meant to be a1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook