Limit proof on monotonic sequences

In summary: So if we set ε = a1 then we get the same result as if we set ε = |a_0|. So there is no need to pick an arbitrary n.
Bipolarity
Consider the sequence [itex] \{ a_{n} \} [/itex]

If [tex] |a_{n+1}| > |a_{n}| [/tex]

Prove that

[tex] \lim_{n→∞} a_{n} ≠ 0 [/tex]

The problem is part of a proof I am trying to understand, but I don't understand this particular step in the proof. Any ideas on how I might grasp this step?

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you see it intuitively?? Did you draw a real number line and draw what such a sequence looks like??

Of course I can just give you the proof, but I prefer that you "see it". If you do, then I believe the proof should be very easy.

micromass said:
Do you see it intuitively?? Did you draw a real number line and draw what such a sequence looks like??

Of course I can just give you the proof, but I prefer that you "see it". If you do, then I believe the proof should be very easy.

So because the sequence increases forever, it can't be 0 at infinity because if it were, then the term after that would be positive contradicting the fact that 0 is the limit?

But how would I prove this using the ε-δ definition?

BiP

Yeah, so basically, the closest the sequences ever gets to 0 is in [itex]|a_0|[/itex]. After that it gets further and further away.

So, what is the definition of [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{a_n}=0[/itex]?? Can you find an ε that works?

micromass said:
Yeah, so basically, the closest the sequences ever gets to 0 is in [itex]|a_0|[/itex]. After that it gets further and further away.

So, what is the definition of [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{a_n}=0[/itex]?? Can you find an ε that works?

For all positive ε, we can find some N such that whenever n>N, then [itex] |a_{n}|<ε [/itex]. I am working on an appropriate value for ε as we speak.

BiP

Hey micromass, I have an idea.
What if we let [itex] ε = |a_{n-1}| [/itex] ?

Then that means there exists N>0 such that whenever n>N, then it must be the case that
[itex] |a_{n}| < |a_{n-1}| [/itex]

But am I allowed to shift the index of the term by 1 so I can show that it contradicts the premise?

BiP

Bipolarity said:
For all positive ε, we can find some N such that whenever n>N, then [itex] |a_{n}|<ε [/itex]. I am working on an appropriate value for ε as we speak.

BiP

Yeah, that is the definition for [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} a_n=0[/itex]. But you want to prove that this is NOT true. So you want the negation.

Bipolarity said:
What if we let [itex] ε = a_{n-1} [/itex] ?

BiP

Yeah ok. How would that work?

Hey micro I just edited my last post. I think it is right, but I confused on why we are allowed to shift the index by one.

In other words, so far we have shown that if [tex] \lim_{n→∞} a_{n} = 0 [/tex] then it must be the case that for some N>0 whenever n>N, then [tex] |a_{n}|<|a_{n-1}| [/tex] which says that the sequence is decreasing.

But the original constraint of the problem is [tex] |a_{n}|<|a_{n+1}| [/tex].

I must have made mistake somewhere or not chosen by epsilon correctly.

BiP

Bipolarity said:
What if we let [itex] ε = |a_{n-1}| [/itex] ?

Then that means there exists N>0 such that whenever n>N, then it must be the case that
[itex] |a_{n}| < |a_{n-1}| [/itex]

But am I allowed to shift the index of the term by 1 so I can show that it contradicts the premise?

BiP

Yeah sure you can shift the index. You are given that [itex]|a_{k+1}|>|a_k|[/itex]for ALL k. So just choose k=n-1.

But something bothers me. You have not defined n. You can't work with [itex] \varepsilon = |a_{n-1}|[/itex] because you didn't declare what n is.
Why don't you pick a specific value of n??

Choose an arbitrary n, as micromass suggests, and let [itex]\epsilon= |a_n|[/itex], for that specific n. What happens to the definition of [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty} a_n= 0[/itex] using that [itex]\epsilon[/itex]?

Why don't we just pick [a][/1] as ε? Then |0-[a][/n]| < [a][/1] for all n > N, a contradiction. Or have I missed something?

Ok, somehow the font got messed up, but just to make it clear, [a][/1] is meant to be a1.

1. What is a monotonic sequence?

A monotonic sequence is a sequence of numbers that either increases or decreases without ever changing direction. This means that every term in the sequence is either larger or smaller than the previous term.

2. What is the limit of a monotonic sequence?

The limit of a monotonic sequence is the value that the sequence approaches as the number of terms in the sequence increases. In other words, it is the value that the sequence "converges" to.

3. How do you prove a limit on a monotonic sequence?

To prove a limit on a monotonic sequence, you must show that the sequence is both bounded and monotonic. This means that the sequence must have a maximum or minimum value, and that it must always increase or decrease without ever changing direction.

4. What is the importance of limit proofs on monotonic sequences?

Limit proofs on monotonic sequences are important because they allow us to determine the behavior of a sequence as it approaches infinity. This is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as in calculating rates of change or predicting future values.

5. Can a monotonic sequence have more than one limit?

No, a monotonic sequence can only have one limit. This is because a monotonic sequence can only either increase or decrease, and cannot change direction. Therefore, the sequence can only approach one value as the number of terms increases.