1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit question involving vectors

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    A and B are 2 non-zero constant vectors and |B| =1. If the angle between them is pi/4, find the limit of (|A+xB|-|A|)/x as x approaches 0.

I'm stuck at this question. I've tried using dot product and vector product. But...I don't see the connection ... Any useful hints would be helpful.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2011 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

It might pay to draw a picture of the vectors A and A + xB ; you can make a triangle, the third leg of which is xB . You can then get a relationship between the length of A and of A + xB from the Law of Cosines. Set up your limit expression and see what happens...

4. Sep 28, 2011 #3
  5. Sep 28, 2011 #4

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

You're trying to work with vector quantities when the Law of Cosines will let you have scalars. We have

| A + xB |2 = A2 + x2 - 2Ax ( -√2 / 2 ) = A2 + x2 + (√2) Ax

(we've removed B , since it is a unit vector). The limit we want to evaluate is

[tex]lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sqrt{A^{2} + x^{2} + (√2 \cdot Ax) } - A}{x} .[/tex]

L'Hopital isn't gonna do it for this because of the radical, so you want to use "conjugate factors" , which will ultimately let you eliminate the "x" in the denominator and have a ratio the limit of which is not indeterminate.

6. Sep 29, 2011 #5
    Got it!

You're right. When in doubt,draw.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook