Limits - Formula Validation/Verification

In summary, the formula provided in the powerpoint for the class is incorrect. The limit of sin^k(theta) is 0 if theta is not a multiple of pi/2, and the limit of cos^k(theta) is 0 if theta is not a multiple of pi, but +/- 1 if theta is a multiple. However, this only holds true for 0 <= theta < 2pi, and not for values such as pi/2 or 3pi/2. It is important to note that the limit should be taken through integer values of k to avoid potential issues with negative numbers.
YoshiMoshi

Homework Statement

The picture attached appeared in my powerpoint for my class. It's been a long time since I took calculus 1, but if I remember correctly this formula is wrong correct?

I mean thinking about it
limit k-> inf ( cos(theta)^k ) = 0 if theta is not a multiple of pi OR +/- 1 if theta is a multiple of pi

limit k-> inf ( sin(theta)^k ) = 0 if theta is not a multiple of pi/2 OR +/- 1 if theta is a multiple of pi/2

I don't see how the generic formula is correct since domain of theta was not provided.

Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    993 bytes · Views: 369
Physics news on Phys.org
YoshiMoshi said:

Homework Statement

The picture attached appeared in my powerpoint for my class. It's been a long time since I took calculus 1, but if I remember correctly this formula is wrong correct?

I mean thinking about it
limit k-> inf ( cos(theta)^k ) = 0 if theta is not a multiple of pi OR +/- 1 if theta is a multiple of pi

limit k-> inf ( sin(theta)^k ) = 0 if theta is not a multiple of pi/2 OR +/- 1 if theta is a multiple of pi/2

I don't see how the generic formula is correct since domain of theta was not provided.

Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You are more-or-less on the right track, but some of your details need tightening up. First, it is enough to assume ##0 \leq \theta < 2 \pi##, because ##\sin## and ##\cos## are periodic, with period ##2 \pi##.

Looking at ##\sin \theta##, the limit ##\lim_{k \to \infty} \sin^k \theta = 0 ## whenever ##|\sin \theta | < 1##, so whenever ##\theta \neq \pi/2, 3\pi/2.## At ##\theta = \pi/2## we have ##\sin(\pi/2) = 1##, so ##\sin^k (\pi/2) \to 1## as ##k \to \infty##. However, ##\sin(3\pi/2) = -1##, so ##\sin^k (3 \pi/2) = (-1)^k## does not have a limit as ##k \to \infty##. It is 100% wrong to say that the limit is ##\pm 1## in this case: it isn't, there is no limit!.

You can do the same type of thing for ##\cos \theta ##.

BTW: to avoid trouble, you need to assume that ##k \to \infty## through integer values, because if ##k## is just some large real number, using it as a power could involve taking fractional powers of negative numbers, and that can get tricky.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of formula validation and verification in limits?

The purpose of formula validation and verification in limits is to ensure that the mathematical expressions or formulas used to calculate limits are accurate and reliable. This is important in order to obtain correct results and avoid errors in mathematical calculations.

2. How is formula validation and verification performed in limits?

Formula validation and verification in limits involves checking the mathematical expressions or formulas against known values or solutions. This can be done manually by substituting values and solving the limit, or using computational tools and software to compare results.

3. Why is it important to validate and verify formulas in limits?

Validating and verifying formulas in limits is important because it ensures the accuracy and reliability of the results. It also helps to identify any errors or mistakes in the formulas that could lead to incorrect solutions.

4. What are some common errors that can occur in formulas for limits?

Some common errors in formulas for limits include algebraic mistakes, incorrect use of mathematical symbols, and incorrect application of limit rules. These errors can lead to incorrect results and must be identified and corrected through validation and verification.

5. What are some techniques for verifying formulas in limits?

Some techniques for verifying formulas in limits include using numerical methods, such as plotting graphs and using tables, to compare results with known solutions. Another technique is to use algebraic manipulations, such as simplifying and factoring, to check the validity of the formula.