1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits - Formula Validation/Verification

1. Jan 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The picture attached appeared in my powerpoint for my class. It's been a long time since I took calculus 1, but if I remember correctly this formula is wrong correct?

I mean thinking about it
    limit k-> inf ( cos(theta)^k ) = 0 if theta is not a multiple of pi OR +/- 1 if theta is a multiple of pi

limit k-> inf ( sin(theta)^k ) = 0 if theta is not a multiple of pi/2 OR +/- 1 if theta is a multiple of pi/2

I don't see how the generic formula is correct since domain of theta was not provided.

Thanks in advance.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are more-or-less on the right track, but some of your details need tightening up. First, it is enough to assume ##0 \leq \theta < 2 \pi##, because ##\sin## and ##\cos## are periodic, with period ##2 \pi##.

Looking at ##\sin \theta##, the limit ##\lim_{k \to \infty} \sin^k \theta = 0 ## whenever ##|\sin \theta | < 1##, so whenever ##\theta \neq \pi/2, 3\pi/2.## At ##\theta = \pi/2## we have ##\sin(\pi/2) = 1##, so ##\sin^k (\pi/2) \to 1## as ##k \to \infty##. However, ##\sin(3\pi/2) = -1##, so ##\sin^k (3 \pi/2) = (-1)^k## does not have a limit as ##k \to \infty##. It is 100% wrong to say that the limit is ##\pm 1## in this case: it isn't, there is no limit!.

You can do the same type of thing for ##\cos \theta ##.

BTW: to avoid trouble, you need to assume that ##k \to \infty## through integer values, because if ##k## is just some large real number, using it as a power could involve taking fractional powers of negative numbers, and that can get tricky.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted