Limits of derivatives of an exponential

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Catria
Messages
145
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement



Determine the lowest derivative order for which the limit towards 0+ of the nth order derivative of f is nonzero (or otherwise does not exist). f = [itex]e^{\frac{-1}{x^{2}}}[/itex]

Homework Equations



[itex]lim_{x\rightarrow0+}\frac{d^{n}}{dx^{n}}e^{\frac{-1}{x^{2}}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



[itex]lim_{x\rightarrow0+}\frac{d}{dx}e^{\frac{-1}{x^{2}}}[/itex] = 0

[itex]lim_{x\rightarrow0+}\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}}e^{\frac{-1}{x^{2}}}[/itex] = 0

[itex]lim_{x\rightarrow0+}\frac{d^{3}}{dx^{3}}e^{\frac{-1}{x^{2}}}[/itex] = 0
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Catria said:

Homework Statement



Determine the lowest derivative order for which the limit towards 0+ of the nth order derivative of f is nonzero (or otherwise does not exist). f = [itex]e^{\frac{-1}{x^{2}}}[/itex]

Homework Equations



[itex]lim_{x\rightarrow0+}\frac{d^{n}}{dx^{n}}e^{\frac{-1}{x^{2}}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



[itex]lim_{x\rightarrow0+}\frac{d}{dx}e^{\frac{-1}{x^{2}}}[/itex] = 0

[itex]lim_{x\rightarrow0+}\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}}e^{\frac{-1}{x^{2}}}[/itex] = 0

[itex]lim_{x\rightarrow0+}\frac{d^{3}}{dx^{3}}e^{\frac{-1}{x^{2}}}[/itex] = 0
Use the chain rule.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}e^{-1/x^2}= \frac{2e^{-1/x^2}}{x^3}\ .[/itex]
 
Last edited:
SammyS said:
You're not differentiating correctly.

Use the chain rule !

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}e^{-1/x^2}= \frac{2e^{-1/x^2}}{x^3}\ .[/itex]

I tried that at the first three orders and I still had the limit of these derivatives towards 0+ as 0.
 
Catria said:
I tried that at the first three orders and I still had the limit of these derivatives towards 0+ as 0.

Right!

I get zero for the fourth derivative also.

I don't see how it will ever be anything else, no matter how high the order of the derivative, but I haven't proved that to myself.

.
 
Any derivative is [itex]e^{-1/x^2}[/itex] over a polynomial and its limit as x goes to 0 will always be 0.