Proving Limits of Series: No Integrals Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for proving the limit of a series, specifically the series bn=1/square root of (n^2+1)+ 1/square root of (n^2+2) + ...+1/square root of (n^2 + n). The conversation mentions using integration to prove convergence, but also asks how to prove convergence without using integrals and determine the limit. It is revealed that the series does not converge, as it is greater than the sum of 1/n+1.
Ed Quanta
How do you prove the limit of a series?

For example, bn=1/square root of (n^2+1)+ 1/square root of (n^2+2) + ...+1/square root of (n^2 + n). I know this series converges since the summation of 1/n^2 does. But the only reason this is because of integration. How could I know that some series converges without using integrals, and then be able to find to what it converges?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ed Quanta said:
How do you prove the limit of a series?

For example, bn=1/square root of (n^2+1)+ 1/square root of (n^2+2) + ...+1/square root of (n^2 + n). I know this series converges since the summation of 1/n^2 does. But the only reason this is because of integration. How could I know that some series converges without using integrals, and then be able to find to what it converges?
Do you mean the series:

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{\sqrt{n^2 + n}} \ \ ?[/tex]

Because that series does not converge.

Doesn't it converge to 1?

Nope, since

[tex]n^2+n < n^2+2n+1[/tex]

the sum you've got there, modulo some initial terms, is greater than

[tex] \sum \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

so it diverges.

NB. cogito's post uses n twice as the parameter and the limit, it should be i inside the sum.

1. What are the basic principles for proving limits of series without using integrals?

The basic principles for proving limits of series without using integrals include the definition of a limit, the limit comparison test, the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test.

2. How do you use the limit comparison test to prove the limit of a series?

To use the limit comparison test, you must compare the series in question to a known series with a known limit. If the limit of the known series is non-zero and the two series have the same behavior, then the limit of the original series is also the same as the known series.

3. What is the difference between the ratio test and the root test?

The ratio test compares the ratio of consecutive terms in a series to a known value, while the root test compares the nth root of the absolute value of each term to a known value. Both tests can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series.

4. Can the limit of a series be proven using only the comparison test?

No, the comparison test is not always sufficient to prove the limit of a series. It can only be used to compare the behavior of a series to a known series with a known limit.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving limits of series without using integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid include using the wrong test for a particular series, not properly manipulating the series to apply a test, and not considering the behavior of the terms in the series. It is also important to remember that just because a series is convergent, it does not mean that the sum of the series is a finite value.