1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line charge within a charged shell (basket case)

1. Jan 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An infinite line of charge with linear density λ1 = 6.8 μC/m is positioned along the axis of a thick insulating shell of inner radius a = 2.5 cm and outer radius b = 4.8 cm. The insulating shell is uniformly charged with a volume density of ρ = -667 μC/m3.

1) What is λ2, the linear charge density of the insulating shell?

-3.518247622μC/m

2) What is Ex(P), the value of the x-component of the electric field at point P, located a distance 8.1 cm along the y-axis from the line of charge?

0 N/C

3) What is Ey(P), the value of the y-component of the electric field at point P, located a distance 8.1 cm along the y-axis from the line of charge?

This is where I'm stuck.

2. Relevant equations
    Gauss' law ∫E⋅dA=Q_enc/∈
    I know there will be integrations in there but due to a week of snow days the instructor hasn't covered any of that, so I'm not sure if there is something else I'm missing, and I'm not finding any good material that I can extract something from.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first section to the homework was similar, but with a conducting shell. I figured that out with the help of Michael Van Biezen videos, but I don't get how to use charge densities, or how to integrate what.

E∫(πR2)L = ∫dQ/∈ (I'm using ∈ for epsilon naught)
    dQ=λdV
    dV=∫(from a-b)πL(Ra2-Rb2)
    dQ=λπL∫(Ra2-Rb2)
    EπR2 = (λπL∫(Ra[/SUB2]-Rb2))/∈
    E = (λL∫ab(Ra2-Rb2))/R∈

That's what I have written on my paper. I'm just totally lost and desperate at this point. Like I said my teacher is expecting way too much without much instruction, and I'm sorry for short comings, but I just really need help.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2017 #2
    Ey(P) = 2*k(this is 9.0E9)*(Charge density of outer shell * area of outer cylinder + lambda of line) all divided by radius (.081m) let me know if this works out for you

4. Jan 26, 2017 #3
    ******length of one is not even needed disregard that

5. Jan 26, 2017 #4
    I got:

Ey(P) =( 2(8.99810^9)(-667π(.0482-.0252))/.081
    = -780964101685
    and it was incorrect.

6. Jan 26, 2017 #5
    what you are trying to do in this problem is act like the system is a point charge so take the lambda you found in the beginning and add it to the lambda given multiply it by two and k and then divide by the radius (0.081)

7. Jan 26, 2017 #6
    Ok so (((6.8x10^-6)+(-3.518x10^-6))2(8,99x10^9))/.081
    =728522.9629

Got it. Thank you so much! I think I'll have to work out that integral backwards.
    I'm asking this before I've figured out how to arrive at the formula you gave me, but why can I treat it as two point charges? The x components of the shell cancel, and y components < 0 (along y axis), is it just that the y-comp fields end up averaging to λ1? Does anyone know of a good link where I can learn more about this?

I use Flipit physics, and I find it difficult to follow at best, and like I said we're cramming 3 sections into 1 week, where we'd normally be doing half that, and the teacher hasn't been able to give us much help.

Again thanks Marchcha for the help.

8. Jan 26, 2017 #7
    Hey as a user of flipit physics I feel your pain. You treat it as two point charges because it is outside of the conductor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted