1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line Charge and Charged Cylindrical Shell (Gauss law)

1. Jan 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An infinite line of charge with linear density λ1 = 6.2 μC/m is positioned along the axis of a thick insulating shell of inner radius a = 2.7 cm and outer radius b = 4.4 cm. The insulating shell is uniformly charged with a volume density of ρ = -552 μC/m3.

1) What is λ2, the linear charge density of the insulating shell?
    -2.093 μC/m
    2) What is Ex(P), the value of the x-component of the electric field at point P, located a distance 7.5 cm along the y-axis from the line of charge?
    0 N/C

3) What is Ey(P), the value of the y-component of the electric field at point P, located a distance 7.5 cm along the y-axis from the line of charge?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

number 3 is the one I am stuck on. I used gauss law and ended with the equation E(x)=landa/(2pi (8.85*10^-12 * r) and got 503541.06 N/C but it seems to be wrong.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I get nearly double that. Please post your working.

4. Jan 30, 2014 #3

BruceW

Homework Helper

ah! you beat me to it haruspex

5. Jan 30, 2014 #4
    I used gauss law
    integral(E*dA)=q_in/epsilon
    LHS E∫dA RHS ∫(from 0 to h) (λ1*dz)/(ε0)
    2pi*dx*h*E= (λ1*h)/ε0
    E=λ/(2*∏*ε0*dR)

6. Jan 30, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, those are the equations, but I asked to see the working. can't tell where you're going wrong without that. you are adding the fields for the two charges, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted