Line Integral along a Parabola

In summary, a parametric equation for a parabola from the point (1,1) to the point (2,4) is r(t)=<t,t2>, 1≤t≤2. For the line integral \int_C x ds along this parabolic segment, the integral was transformed using u=1+4t2 and evaluated to \frac{17^{\frac{3}{2}} - 5^{\frac{3}{2}}}{12}.
Char. Limit
Gold Member

Homework Statement

a. Find a parametric equation to describe a parabola from the point (1,1) to the point (2,4).

b. Evaluate the line integral [tex]\int_C x ds[/tex] along the parabolic segment in part a.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_C x ds = \int_{t1}^{t2} x(t) |r'(t)| dt[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, for part a, the parametric equation r(t)=<t,t2>, 1≤t≤2, seemed to suffice. So I used that.

For part b, first I found r'(t) and got [tex]\sqrt{1+4 t^2}[/tex]. Since x(t) = t, I then plugged this into my equation to get my new integral...

[tex]\int_1^2 t \sqrt{1+4 t^2} dt[/tex]

Then I used the transform u=1+4t2, du = 8t dt to transform my integral to...

[tex]\frac{1}{8} \int_{t=1}^{t=2} \sqrt{u} du = \frac{1}{8} \int_{u=5}^{u=17} \sqrt{u} du[/tex]

Which I then evaluated to get...

[tex]\frac{1}{8} \frac{2}{3} \left[ u^{\frac{3}{2}} \right]_5^{17}[/tex]

Which seems to equal...

[tex]\frac{17^{\frac{3}{2}} - 5^{\frac{3}{2}}}{12}[/tex]

My question is... is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me.

1. What is a line integral along a parabola?

A line integral along a parabola is a mathematical concept that calculates the total value of a function along a curve in a specific direction. It is used in calculus to find the area under a curve or the work done by a force along a specific path.

2. How is a line integral along a parabola calculated?

To calculate a line integral along a parabola, the curve must first be parameterized using a specific parameter such as t. Then, the integral is calculated by evaluating the function at each point on the curve and multiplying it by the length of the curve at that point. Finally, the results are added together to find the total value of the line integral.

3. What is the significance of a line integral along a parabola?

A line integral along a parabola is significant because it allows for the calculation of important quantities such as area, work, and flux. It also provides a way to find the total value of a function along a specific path, which can be useful in many different scientific and mathematical applications.

4. What are some real-life applications of a line integral along a parabola?

There are many real-life applications of a line integral along a parabola, such as calculating the work done by a force along a curved path, finding the area under a curved roof, and determining the electric flux through a curved surface. It is also used in engineering, physics, and other fields to solve complex problems involving curved paths.

5. Are there any limitations to using a line integral along a parabola?

While a line integral along a parabola is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be used to calculate the value of a function along a curve in a specific direction, and it is not applicable to all types of curves. Additionally, it can be challenging to calculate for highly complex curves, and it requires a solid understanding of calculus and parametric equations.