1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral and vector fields

1. Feb 5, 2006 #1
    Hi, I'm having trouble with the following question.

Q. Let p be a real constant and [itex]\mathop F\limits^ \to = \left( {yz^p ,x^p z,xy^p } \right)[/itex] be a vector field. For what value of p is the line integral

[tex]\int\limits_{C_2 }^{} {\mathop F\limits^ \to \bullet d\mathop s\limits^ \to } = 0[/tex]

Where C_2 is any closed path in R^2.

Firstly, how can C_2 be a path in R^2 when the vector field is '3D'? That doesn't seem to make sense in the context of the line integral. Assuming that C_2 is any closed path in R^3 then it should be sufficient to find the values of p so that curl F = 0.

I found [itex]curl\mathop F\limits^ \to = \nabla \times \mathop F\limits^ \to [/itex]

= \left( {x\left( {p - 1} \right)y^{p - 1} - x^p ,y\left( {p - 1} \right)z^{p - 1} - y^p ,z\left( {p - 1} \right)x^{p - 1} - z^p } \right)

The answer is p = 1 but substituting p = 1 to what I found doesn't give the result curl F = 0. I've checked over my calculation a few times but I still can't see what's wrong with the curlf that I've computed. Can someone help me out?
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You're right. It doesn't make sense to define a vector field in R3 and then ask you to integrate it around a curve in R2!

There are two things you could do- you assume they mean a path in the xy- plane, z= 0. Of course, that makes the problem trivial- I'm sure that is not what was intended. I would assume that R2 was just a typo- that it should be R3.

You have [tex] = \left( {x\left( {p - 1} \right)y^{p - 1} - x^p ,y\left( {p - 1} \right)z^{p - 1} - y^p ,z\left( {p - 1} \right)x^{p - 1} - z^p } \right)[/tex]

Good grief! You've correctly analyzed a problem in Green's theorem and messed up the "power law"?? The derivative of xn is nxn-1, not (n-1)xn-1 as you have!
  4. Feb 5, 2006 #3
    Heh, I don't know how I managed to miss my error with the power rule. Thanks for the help HallsofIvy.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?