Line integral over a Vector Field

In summary: Since the field is conservative, the line integral is path independent and you can choose any path between A and B. In summary, the given vector field is F(x,y,z) = (yz + 3x^{2})\hat{i} + xz\hat{j} + xy\hat{k}, and the task is to calculate the line integral ∫_{A}^{B}F\bullet dl where A = (0,1,3) and B = (1,2,2). The parametrisation used is r(t) = <t, t+1,3-t> and after evaluating the given expression, the answer is 5. This is because the field is conservative and the line integral is
Smazmbazm

Homework Statement

Given a vector field

[itex] F(x,y,z) = (yz + 3x^{2})\hat{i} + xz\hat{j} + xy\hat{k}[/itex]

Calculate the line integral

[itex]∫_{A}^{B}F\bullet dl[/itex]

where A = (0,1,3) and B = (1,2,2)

Homework Equations

Right, first of all, what is dl ? I've gone over all my course notes and don't see dl anywhere. I managed to find on this site that dl = (dx, dy, dz). Is that the case?

If so, my attempt at the solution is

[itex]∫_{A}^{B}(yz + 3x^{2})dx + xzdy + xydz[/itex]

Now what? I'm not really sure how to set the intervals from those 2 points in space. Am I supposed to do something like

[itex]∫_{0}^{1}(yz + 3x^{2})dx + ∫_{1}^{2}xzdx +∫_{3}^{2}xydz[/itex] ?

Thanks for any assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Smazmbazm said:

Homework Statement

Given a vector field

[itex] F(x,y,z) = (yz + 3x^{2})\hat{i} + xz\hat{j} + xy\hat{k}[/itex]

Calculate the line integral

[itex]∫_{A}^{B}F\bullet dl[/itex]

where A = (0,1,3) and B = (1,2,2)

Homework Equations

Right, first of all, what is dl ? I've gone over all my course notes and don't see dl anywhere. I managed to find on this site that dl = (dx, dy, dz). Is that the case?

If so, my attempt at the solution is

[itex]∫_{A}^{B}(yz + 3x^{2})dx + xzdy + xydz[/itex]

Now what? I'm not really sure how to set the intervals from those 2 points in space. Am I supposed to do something like

[itex]∫_{0}^{1}(yz + 3x^{2})dx + ∫_{1}^{2}xzdx +∫_{3}^{2}xydz[/itex] ?

Thanks for any assistance.

No, dl isn't equal to (dx,dy,dz) in general. dl depends on the path you are integrating along. They didn't give you a path. Any idea why not?

Here is the whole question

http://imgur.com/KGI28pJ

Smazmbazm said:
Here is the whole question

[PLAIN]http://imgur.com/KGI28pJ[/QUOTE]
Just follow the questions in sequence. Use Gradient theorem. Like Gauss's and Stoke's theorems,
they are fancy version of FTC in Calc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure. But I don't understand what dl is in this question. How does one determine dl and also what are the limits of integration..? What I find confusing is distinguishing between what dl, ds, and dr all mean in various contexts. Such as

[itex]∫_{C}F.ds[/itex]

[itex]∫^{B}_{A}F.dl[/itex]

and

[itex]∫_{C}F.dr[/itex]

what are the differences between all these...?

Smazmbazm said:
Sure. But I don't understand what dl is in this question. How does one determine dl and also what are the limits of integration..?

You get ##\vec{dl}## from the parametrisation of your path. So what path are you going to take? Why do you think the question has not specified a path?

Smazmbazm said:
Yea ok, I figured that out. So the path I got, following http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/LineIntegralsPtI.aspx was r(t) = <t, t+1,3-t> and after evaluating the whole expression I got an answer of 5. Dunno if that's right because we aren't given answers to our questions for some silly reason -.-
Yes, that's right, but what justifies using the straight line parametrisation?

Is that because it's a conservative field and calculations are therefore path independent?

Smazmbazm said:
Is that because it's a conservative field and calculations are therefore path independent?

Exactly.

1. What is a line integral over a vector field?

A line integral over a vector field is a mathematical concept that represents the integral of a vector field along a curve or path. It calculates the total value of the vector field along the given curve by taking into account the direction and magnitude of the vector at each point along the curve.

2. How is a line integral over a vector field calculated?

A line integral over a vector field is calculated by first parameterizing the given curve and then using the formula ∫F(r(t))•r'(t) dt, where F is the vector field and r(t) is the parameterization of the curve.

3. What is the significance of a line integral over a vector field?

A line integral over a vector field has many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating work done by a force, finding flux through a surface, and determining the circulation of a fluid. It also helps in understanding the flow of vector fields and their behavior along a given curve.

4. What are the conditions for a line integral over a vector field to be independent of path?

For a line integral over a vector field to be independent of path, the vector field must be conservative. This means that the integral of the vector field between any two points must be the same regardless of the path taken between those points.

5. Can a line integral over a vector field be negative?

Yes, a line integral over a vector field can be negative. This occurs when the vector field and the curve have opposite directions, resulting in a negative dot product. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the vector field when calculating line integrals to ensure the correct sign.