Line integrals with respect to x and y

In summary, the conversation discusses relating the line integral of a function with respect to arc length with line integrals with respect to x and y. It is suggested to ask a specific question. The use of parametrization and differentiation is explained, and the line integral formula is derived. The conversation also touches on the terminology used and the backgrounds of the speakers.
dontdisturbmycircles

Homework Statement

I am having a bit of trouble relating the line integral of a function with respect to arc length with the line integrals with respect to x and y.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would be best to ask a specific question.

Let's say we have a curve [tex]C[/tex] parameterized by a function [tex]\textbf{r}(t)=x(t)\textbf{i} + y(t)\textbf{j}[/tex]. Differentiating with respect to [tex]t[/tex] we get

[tex]\frac{d\textbf{r}}{dt} = \frac{dx}{dt}\textbf{i} + \frac{dy}{dt}\textbf{j}.[/tex]

Multiplying through by [tex]dt[/tex], we get

[tex]d\textbf{r} = dx\textbf{i} + dy\textbf{j}.[/tex]

Plugging into the line integral, we get

[tex]{\int_C \textbf{F} \cdot d\textbf{r} } = {\int_C (M\textbf{i}+N\textbf{j}) \cdot (dx\textbf{i} + dy\textbf{j})}={\int_C Mdx + Ndy}[/tex]

where [tex]\textbf{F}=M\textbf{i}+N\textbf{j}.[/tex]

foxjwill is either a physicist or an engineer =]

Gib Z said:
foxjwill is either a physicist or an engineer =]

Neither, actually. ;) I'm a high school senior who's really into math. Is the way I formulated the answer the way a physicist or engineer would do it?

"Multiplying through by dt" lol

Gib Z said:
"Multiplying through by dt" lol

lol. Thought it was that. I got that terminology from my physics teacher.

We'll, there's a lot of Physicists/Engineers on these forums, so I won't say anymore =]

1. What is a line integral with respect to x and y?

A line integral with respect to x and y is a type of integral in multivariable calculus that calculates the total value of a function along a given path in the xy-plane. It takes into account both the x and y components of the path, rather than just the x-axis or y-axis.

2. How is a line integral with respect to x and y different from a regular integral?

A line integral with respect to x and y is different from a regular integral because it takes into account both the x and y components of a path, rather than just one variable. This means that the path of integration is not restricted to a single axis, but can be any curve in the xy-plane.

3. When is it necessary to use a line integral with respect to x and y?

A line integral with respect to x and y is necessary when the value of a function depends on both the x and y coordinates, and the path of integration is not restricted to a single axis. It is commonly used in physics and engineering, where the value of a physical quantity may depend on multiple variables.

4. How is a line integral with respect to x and y calculated?

A line integral with respect to x and y is calculated by first parameterizing the path of integration, which means expressing it as a function of a single variable. Then, the function to be integrated is multiplied by the derivatives of the parameterized path with respect to the variable. This product is then integrated over the specified limits of the variable.

5. What is the significance of a line integral with respect to x and y?

A line integral with respect to x and y has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate work done by a force along a curved path, electric and magnetic flux, and other physical quantities that depend on multiple variables. It also helps to understand and analyze vector fields in two dimensions.