1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integrals with respect to x and y

1. Jan 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am having a bit of trouble relating the line integral of a function with respect to arc length with the line integrals with respect to x and y.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It would be best to ask a specific question.
  4. Jan 5, 2008 #3
    Let's say we have a curve [tex]C[/tex] parameterized by a function [tex]\textbf{r}(t)=x(t)\textbf{i} + y(t)\textbf{j}[/tex]. Differentiating with respect to [tex]t[/tex] we get

[tex]\frac{d\textbf{r}}{dt} = \frac{dx}{dt}\textbf{i} + \frac{dy}{dt}\textbf{j}.[/tex]

Multiplying through by [tex]dt[/tex], we get

[tex]d\textbf{r} = dx\textbf{i} + dy\textbf{j}.[/tex]

Plugging into the line integral, we get

[tex]{\int_C \textbf{F} \cdot d\textbf{r} } = {\int_C (M\textbf{i}+N\textbf{j}) \cdot (dx\textbf{i} + dy\textbf{j})}={\int_C Mdx + Ndy}[/tex]

where [tex]\textbf{F}=M\textbf{i}+N\textbf{j}.[/tex]
  5. Jan 5, 2008 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

foxjwill is either a physicist or an engineer =]
  6. Jan 5, 2008 #5
    Neither, actually. ;) I'm a high school senior who's really into math. Is the way I formulated the answer the way a physicist or engineer would do it?
  7. Jan 5, 2008 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

"Multiplying through by dt" lol
  8. Jan 5, 2008 #7
    lol. Thought it was that. I got that terminology from my physics teacher.
  9. Jan 5, 2008 #8

Gib Z

Homework Helper

We'll, theres a lot of Physicists/Engineers on these forums, so I won't say anymore =]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?