Line Level Frequency Splitting

In summary: The NTE890 is an integrated circuit designed to convert a DC voltage into a PWM signal. It may be a suitable choice for this application. alternatively, 555 timer ICs may also be suitable. Further, it is not clear what you specifically want to achieve with this project. If you could provide more details on what you want to achieve, or what you are trying to prototype, it would be much easier for me to provide a recommendation.
Kurinn
I'm working on a project that involves taking the audio output from a consumer device like an iPod or whatever, filtering for low, mid, and high frequencies, and then converting the levels into a PWM to drive LEDs for each frequency range.

Passive filters will separate the low (<500 Hz), mid (500>1000 Hz), and high (>1000 Hz) frequencies, at which point I will rectify the separate signals to get a DC voltage level, which will be used to derive pulse-width modulation to drive LEDs color coded to each range.

If Wikipedia is to be trusted, typical peak voltage for the input signal from most consumer devices will be 0.45 volts or so. Should I be trying to amplify before my passive filters, or after?

I noticed that radio shack carries the NTE890. I think it might serve to translate the DC voltage into the PWM I want to drive my LEDs. Does anyone have any experience with the NTE890 in regards to this application?

Would I be better off just using 555 timer ICs to accomplish this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you trying to make a simple, three band spectrum analyser here? Is it to drive effects lighting. Or what?
It's not clear, from your suggested integrated circuit, what exactly you want to do. Let's establish that first.

sophiecentaur said:
Are you trying to make a simple, three band spectrum analyser here? Is it to drive effects lighting. Or what?
It's not clear, from your suggested integrated circuit, what exactly you want to do. Let's establish that first.

Sorry. To be clear, let's step back a bit. I want to create a visualizer which uses red for base, green for mid-range, and blue for high frequencies. It effectively drives effects lighting, but it is in some crude sense a spectrum analyzer. Filters cut off low, mid-range, and high frequencies. These signals are then rectified to DC voltage levels. The voltage levels then dictate pulse width signals which drive LEDs for red, green, and blue respective to the associated bandwidths.

1. What is line level frequency splitting?

Line level frequency splitting is a process used in audio engineering to divide a signal into different frequency bands. This allows for more precise control and manipulation of individual frequency ranges.

2. How does line level frequency splitting work?

Line level frequency splitting works by using filters to separate the audio signal into different frequency bands. These filters are set at specific cutoff points, which determine which frequencies are allowed to pass through and which are attenuated or blocked.

3. What are the benefits of using line level frequency splitting?

There are several benefits to using line level frequency splitting. It allows for more control and balance in the mix, as different frequency ranges can be adjusted independently. It also helps to avoid frequency masking, where certain frequencies can overpower or hide others in the mix. Additionally, it can improve the overall clarity and quality of the sound.

4. Is line level frequency splitting only used in professional audio production?

No, line level frequency splitting can be used in a variety of settings, from professional studios to home recordings. It can be used in live sound setups, as well as in post-production for film and television.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using line level frequency splitting?

One potential drawback is that if not used properly, it can result in an unnatural or artificial sounding mix. It also requires a good understanding of audio frequencies and how they interact, so it may not be suitable for beginners. Additionally, using too many frequency bands can add complexity and potentially lead to phase issues in the mix.