Design Auto Wah Filter: Learn How to Create Frequency Sweep

In summary, the goal is to create an auto wah using a variable resonant frequency band pass filter. The problem is that the frequency sweep can't be created automatically. The solution is to use an envelope follower and a voltage or current controlled capacitor.
chaoseverlasting
I'm working on a college project building analog guitar effects. I want to build an auto wah. It's essentially a variable resonant frequency band pass filter. Traditional auto wah's either use a low frequency oscillator for a constant 'sweep' across the filter's frequency band or use an envelop follower to gauge the amplitude of the input signal and produce a proportional sweep across the frequency range of the filter.

The problem is that I can't figure out how to create the frequency sweep. I know I could look at the already existing circuit diagrams and just reproduce the effect, but that defeates the purpose of the exercise. Plus, something like this shouldn't be too difficult to do.

What I have so far is this:
As this effects is a variable frequency band pass filter, if I just change the resonant frequency of the filter, I should, theoretically, get the effect I'm after.

This much I can do. The part that I can't figure out is how to automatically change teh resonant frequency depending on the input signal. One way I thought of doing it was to change the inductance or capacitance of an LC filter to change the resonant peak.

What I need is a way to change the capacitance of the capacitive element based on the input voltage or current. So a current or voltage controlled capacitor. What device should I use?

I'll be using TL 084 op amps and 7809 IC's for the power supply. Also, I'll be using a gyrator circuit for the inductive elements, which is why I need to use a voltage or current controlled capacitor.

I hope this makes sense.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think what you want is an RC (not LC) filter where the R can be varied proportional to some input voltage. This used to be -- before all that digital synthesis nonsense came around -- called a Voltage Controlled Filter. I googled that phrase and found this circuit:
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/STATEVARVCFFEB2006/STATEVARVCFFEB2006.html
which is pretty ugly, but does have a vague explanation of how it works "using LM13700 transconductance amplifiers as voltage-controlled integrators". There also used to be single chip VCFs...ah here: SSM2044 -- obsolete but maybe available from the analog synth underground folks...

Last edited by a moderator:
schip666! said:
This used to be -- before all that digital synthesis nonsense came around -- called a Voltage Controlled Filter.
:rofl:

I remember them well; having designed and put together a synthesizer (but it did have a little digital too).

Other keywords to search on are "Envelope-Controlled Filters".

schip666! said:
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/STATEVARVCFFEB2006/STATEVARVCFFEB2006.html .

That is exactly what I'm looking for, except that I've got to design the circuit myself. OTA seems to be the right way to go, but all that the OTA is doing is giving an output current proportional to volgate, isn't it?

The interesting part in that circuit is controlling the Q factor and the filter resonance frequency simulatneously. That is, essentially, all that I want from my circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people use the transconductance amps, but in college, I did some effects that used pulse-width-modulated analog switches.

I used the CD4066 analog switches and put them in series with the resistive elements in a biquad filter. As the pulse width changed, you could vary the Q or frequency.

As for the source of the PWM, I wanted it proportional to a control voltage, so I built an oscillator that gave me a nice triangle wave (i.e. 100-200kHz). Then, I compared it to the control voltage. Be careful though. If your PWM goes to zero and you don't have a high value resistor across the analog switch, then the filter circuit will "crash."

That was ages ago, and I didn't record the schematic, but I can tell you that it was probably built around LM339's TL084's and CD4066's. Ocassionally, I would use CD4049's as well for inverters and sometimes as analog parts.

Best of luck,

Mike

Mike_In_Plano said:
Most people use the transconductance amps, but in college, I did some effects that used pulse-width-modulated analog switches.

I used the CD4066 analog switches and put them in series with the resistive elements in a biquad filter. As the pulse width changed, you could vary the Q or frequency.

As for the source of the PWM, I wanted it proportional to a control voltage, so I built an oscillator that gave me a nice triangle wave (i.e. 100-200kHz). Then, I compared it to the control voltage. Be careful though. If your PWM goes to zero and you don't have a high value resistor across the analog switch, then the filter circuit will "crash."

That was ages ago, and I didn't record the schematic, but I can tell you that it was probably built around LM339's TL084's and CD4066's. Ocassionally, I would use CD4049's as well for inverters and sometimes as analog parts.

Best of luck,

Mike
Thank you, Ill look into it. I have a couple of days to think something up and there are other parts of the project which are more easily approached. The wah is one of 4 effects blocks I'm building and the only one that has me in a tight spot.

1. What is an auto wah filter?

An auto wah filter is a type of audio effect that modulates the EQ of a signal based on its amplitude. This creates a sweeping, wah-wah-like effect that is commonly used in guitar playing.

2. How does an auto wah filter work?

An auto wah filter works by detecting the amplitude of an audio signal and using that information to adjust the cutoff frequency of a bandpass filter. As the amplitude changes, the cutoff frequency also changes, creating the characteristic sweeping sound.

3. What are the main parameters of an auto wah filter?

The main parameters of an auto wah filter are sensitivity, range, and rate. Sensitivity controls how responsive the filter is to changes in amplitude, range controls the maximum amount of frequency sweep, and rate controls the speed of the sweep.

4. How can I create an auto wah filter in my DAW?

To create an auto wah filter in your DAW, you can use a plugin or software instrument that has an auto wah filter effect. You can also create your own using a combination of EQ and modulation plugins. There are also many tutorials and guides available online for creating auto wah filters in different DAWs.

5. What are some common uses for an auto wah filter?

An auto wah filter is commonly used in guitar playing to add a dynamic, expressive quality to the sound. It can also be used in other instruments and genres, such as funk and electronic music, to create interesting and rhythmic effects. Additionally, auto wah filters can be used in sound design to add movement and texture to a sound.