How does reflecting points in a line affect the equation of the original line?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary: You provided a clear explanation of how to reflect points over a line and how to determine if they are collinear. Additionally, you explained the concept of inverse functions and how they relate to reflecting points. In summary, the conversation discusses picking three points on a line, reflecting them over the line y=x, and showing that the reflected points are collinear. It also delves into the concept of inverse functions and how they can be used to reflect points.
mathdad
Pick any three points on the line y = (x/2) + 3.

1. Reflect each point in the line y = x.

Do I simply exchange the x and y coordinates of the chosen 3 points?

2. Show that the 3 reflected points all lie on one line.

I need one or two hints here.

3. What is the equation of the line for part (2)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Pick any three points on the line y = (x/2) + 3.

1. Reflect each point in the line y = x.

Do I simply exchange the x and y coordinates of the chosen 3 points?
Yes.

RTCNTC said:
2. Show that the 3 reflected points all lie on one line.

I need one or two hints here.
How do you know that points are on a line? Easy: All points have to satisfy the line equation y = mx + b for some m and b. Start with any two of the reflected points and find the equation of the line between them. If all three reflected points are on the line then the third point will also satisfy the same line equation.

-Dan

Another way to show 3 points are collinear is to pick two distinct pairs from the 3 points, and show that the slope between both pairs is the same. :D

It seems to me that you can graph on 2 point. That it will look like this Line y = (x/2) + 3.

View attachment 6426

Attachments

• yotx.ru.png
    yotx.ru.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 53
Daviddur said:
It seems to me that you can graph on 2 point. That it will look like this Line y = (x/2) + 3.
The scale along the $x$ line is not clear from the picture, so it is impossible to say whether this is the graph of $y=x/2+3$.

Reflecting a point (a, b) about the line y= x gives the point (b, a). That is, it swaps the two coordinates. Given that y= (x/2)+ 3, x/2= y- 3 and than x= 2(y- 3)= 2y- 6. Swapping x and y, y= 2x- 6.

Another way of thinking about it: the function y= (x/2)+ 3 says "first divide x by 2 then add 3". Reflecting about the line y= x gives the inverse function, which is just doing the reverse. The reverse of "divide by 2" is "multiply by 2" and the reverse of "add 3" is "subtract 3". Further, reversing the function reverses the order in which those are done. So the reverse of "first divide by 2 and the add 3" is "first subtract three and then multiply by 2": y= 2(x- 3)= 2x- 6 as before.

HallsofIvy said:
Reflecting a point (a, b) about the line y= x gives the point (b, a). That is, it swaps the two coordinates. Given that y= (x/2)+ 3, x/2= y- 3 and than x= 2(y- 3)= 2y- 6. Swapping x and y, y= 2x- 6.

Another way of thinking about it: the function y= (x/2)+ 3 says "first divide x by 2 then add 3". Reflecting about the line y= x gives the inverse function, which is just doing the reverse. The reverse of "divide by 2" is "multiply by 2" and the reverse of "add 3" is "subtract 3". Further, reversing the function reverses the order in which those are done. So the reverse of "first divide by 2 and the add 3" is "first subtract three and then multiply by 2": y= 2(x- 3)= 2x- 6 as before.

Very informative.

What is the equation for a line in slope-intercept form?

The equation for a line in slope-intercept form is y = mx + b, where m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept.

What is the slope of the line y = (x/2) + 3?

The slope of the line y = (x/2) + 3 is 1/2. This can be determined by comparing the equation to the slope-intercept form, y = mx + b, where m is the slope.

What is the y-intercept of the line y = (x/2) + 3?

The y-intercept of the line y = (x/2) + 3 is 3. This number represents the point where the line intersects with the y-axis, and can be found by setting x = 0 and solving for y.

How can I graph the line y = (x/2) + 3?

To graph the line y = (x/2) + 3, plot the y-intercept (0, 3) and then use the slope of 1/2 to find additional points. This can be done by moving up 1 unit and right 2 units from the y-intercept, or down 1 unit and left 2 units from the y-intercept.

What other information can be determined from the equation y = (x/2) + 3?

The equation y = (x/2) + 3 provides information about the slope and y-intercept of the line. It can also be used to find the x-intercept by setting y = 0 and solving for x. Additionally, this equation can be used to determine the rate of change (or slope) of the line.