1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra (Change of Basis)

1. Jul 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let E={1, x, x2,x3} be the standard ordered basis for the space P3. Show that G={1+x,1-x,1-x2,1-x3} is also a basis for P3, and write the change of basis matrix S from G to E.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Here's what I got:

[tex]
    S_E^G=\left(
    \begin{array}{cccc}
    1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\
    1 & -1 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & -1 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & -1
    \end{array}
    \right)
    [/tex]

Now, to prove that this is also a basis, I just need to show that it has an inverse, right?

Here's the problem. If the above is correct, then when you multiply it by G you should get E, right? After all, it is the "change of basis matrix S from G to E". However, this isn't the case:

[tex]
    \left(
    \begin{array}{cccc}
    1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\
    1 & -1 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & -1 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & -1
    \end{array}
    \right).\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    1+x \\
    1-x \\
    1-x^2 \\
    1-x^3
    \end{array}
    \right)=\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    4-x^2-x^3 \\
    2 x \\
    -1+x^2 \\
    -1+x^3
    \end{array}
    \right)
    [/tex]

Am I doing something wrong, or am I just confused about what a change of basis matrix is supposed to do?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your vectors in your representation in R4 are going to have just numbers, not polynomials in their entries. So (1+x, 1-x, 1-x2, 1-x3) isn't a vector, instead the vectors are supposed to be representing polynomials, for example 1-x is represented as (1,-1,0,0).

Your change of basis matrix is correct. Don't use it to show G is a basis though... you know P3 has dimension 4, so show G is linearly independent and hence since it has 4 elements it must span the space also

4. Jul 20, 2009 #3
    I see. so a valid test would be:

[tex]
    \left(
    \begin{array}{cccc}
    1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\
    1 & -1 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & -1 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & -1
    \end{array}
    \right).\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    0 \\
    0 \\
    1 \\
    \end{array}
    \right)=\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    1 \\
    0 \\
    -1 \\
    \end{array}
    \right)
    [/tex]

And the fact that I get (1,0,-1,0) says that I have 1-x^2, which is what I would expect.

Cool, I think I got it. Thanks!

5. Jul 21, 2009 #4
    Although that is quite valid, in this problem I would find it simpler to show that G spans P3 and thus is linearly independent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook