1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Linear Algebra - Characteristic polynomials and similar matrices question

1. Feb 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For each matrix A below, let T be the linear operator on R3 thathas matrix A relative to the basis A = {(1,0,0), (1,1,0), (1,1,1)}. Find the algebraic and geometric multiplicities of each eigenvalues, and a basis for each eigenspace.

a) A = [tex]
    \begin{bmatrix} 8&5&-5\\5&8&-5\\15&15&-12\end{bmatrix}

[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I tried to find the eigenvalues normally and turns out that was pretty hard.. So I know that similar matrices have the same eigenvalues, then can I just take the eigenvalues of the matrix [tex]
    \begin{bmatrix} 1&1&1\\0&1&1\\0&0&1\end{bmatrix}

[/tex]

since it is similar to A? Or is it similar?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2010 #2
    The eigenvalues of similar matrices are the same but the eigenvectors may be different.

4. Feb 17, 2010 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The second matrix isn't similar to A. Two matrices A and B are similar if you can write

[tex]B=P^{-1}AP[/tex]

for some invertible matrix P. You could use your matrix with the basis-vector columns as P.

5. Feb 17, 2010 #4
    I calculated B but that doesn't seem to make finding eigenvalues any easier..?

6. Feb 17, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You just need to work it out. It's only a 3x3 matrix after all.

7. Feb 17, 2010 #6
    Okay nice it seems it's just because I made a mistake in calculating the inverse of P..
    turns out it's much easier to find the eigenvalues of B.

..or not. I don't understand why there is suddenly such a computational question when everything else is hardly as hard..

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  8. Feb 18, 2010 #7
    Can I row-reduce a matrix before subtracting lambda and then find the determinant? Or do I have to subtract lambda first?

9. Feb 18, 2010 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You have to subtract [itex]\lambda[/itex] first. Think about it. You can reduce any invertible matrix to the identity matrix. If you then subtracted [itex]\lambda[/itex], all the eigenvalues would be 1, which is obviously not the case for every invertible matrix.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook