1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra: Check the statement

1. Dec 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Check the statement is true or false:
    Let [itex]\mathcal{A} : \mathbb{R^3}\rightarrow \mathbb{R^4}[/itex] be a linear operator.
    If the minimum rank of [itex]\mathcal{A}[/itex] is [itex]2[/itex], than the maximum defect is [itex]1[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    -Linear transformations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Assume that [itex]\mathcal{A}[/itex] is a matrix of order [itex]3[/itex]. If the maximum rank of a matrix is two, then number of defects (linearly dependent vectors) is [itex]1[/itex].
    Thus, the statement is true.

Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Since ##A :\mathbb{R}^3 \to \mathbb{R}^4##, you can say something more about the matrix of this transformation. I.e., how many rows and how many columns.
    I've never seen this terminology -- number of defects -- before.
    What do you mean by "linearly dependent vectors"? Are you talking about column vectors in the matrix or row vectors in the matrix. Please elaborate on what you mean by "linearly dependent vectors".

4. Dec 6, 2015 #3
    Defect (of a matrix) is linearly dependent column vector.
    In terms of a linear transformation (operator), rank is defined as a dimension of an image of that operator.
    I am not sure what is the definition of defect in terms of linear operators, that is why I made assumption of matrix.

Again, it depends how would you reduce the matrix in echelon form (row or column).

5. Dec 6, 2015 #4

Mark44

I always do row-echelon form or reduced row-echelon form (RREF).

You haven't said what the dimensions of the matrix of A are...

6. Dec 6, 2015 #5
    If you do RREF, then you would count dependent column vectors (defects).
    I think that dimensions of a matrix of linear operator [itex]\mathcal{A}[/itex] is [itex]3\times 3[/itex].

7. Dec 6, 2015 #6

Mark44

No. A is a map from ##\mathbb{R}^3## to ##\mathbb{R}^4##, so the matrix for A can't possibly be 3 x 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted