Linear algebra: Check the statement

In summary: It has to be 4 x 3. You're on the right track, but you need to be more careful with your dimensions.In summary, the conversation is discussing a statement that states if the minimum rank of a linear operator \mathcal{A} : \mathbb{R^3}\rightarrow \mathbb{R^4} is 2, then the maximum defect is 1. The attempt at a solution involves assuming that \mathcal{A} is a matrix of order 3 and counting linearly dependent column vectors after reducing the matrix to row-echelon form. However, it is pointed out that the dimensions of the matrix for \mathcal{A} should be 4 x 3 due to
gruba

Homework Statement

Check the statement is true or false:
Let [itex]\mathcal{A} : \mathbb{R^3}\rightarrow \mathbb{R^4}[/itex] be a linear operator.
If the minimum rank of [itex]\mathcal{A}[/itex] is [itex]2[/itex], than the maximum defect is [itex]1[/itex].

Homework Equations

-Linear transformations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume that [itex]\mathcal{A}[/itex] is a matrix of order [itex]3[/itex]. If the maximum rank of a matrix is two, then number of defects (linearly dependent vectors) is [itex]1[/itex].
Thus, the statement is true.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
gruba said:

Homework Statement

Check the statement is true or false:
Let [itex]\mathcal{A} : \mathbb{R^3}\rightarrow \mathbb{R^4}[/itex] be a linear operator.
If the minimum rank of [itex]\mathcal{A}[/itex] is [itex]2[/itex], than the maximum defect is [itex]1[/itex].

Homework Equations

-Linear transformations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume that [itex]\mathcal{A}[/itex] is a matrix of order [itex]3[/itex].
Since ##A :\mathbb{R}^3 \to \mathbb{R}^4##, you can say something more about the matrix of this transformation. I.e., how many rows and how many columns.
gruba said:
If the maximum rank of a matrix is two, then number of defects (linearly dependent vectors) is [itex]1[/itex].
I've never seen this terminology -- number of defects -- before.
What do you mean by "linearly dependent vectors"? Are you talking about column vectors in the matrix or row vectors in the matrix. Please elaborate on what you mean by "linearly dependent vectors".
gruba said:
Thus, the statement is true.

Is this correct?

Mark44 said:
Since ##A :\mathbb{R}^3 \to \mathbb{R}^4##, you can say something more about the matrix of this transformation. I.e., how many rows and how many columns.
I've never seen this terminology -- number of defects -- before.
What do you mean by "linearly dependent vectors"? Are you talking about column vectors in the matrix or row vectors in the matrix. Please elaborate on what you mean by "linearly dependent vectors".

Defect (of a matrix) is linearly dependent column vector.
In terms of a linear transformation (operator), rank is defined as a dimension of an image of that operator.
I am not sure what is the definition of defect in terms of linear operators, that is why I made assumption of matrix.

Again, it depends how would you reduce the matrix in echelon form (row or column).

gruba said:
Defect (of a matrix) is linearly dependent column vector.
In terms of a linear transformation (operator), rank is defined as a dimension of an image of that operator.
I am not sure what is the definition of defect in terms of linear operators, that is why I made assumption of matrix.

Again, it depends how would you reduce the matrix in echelon form (row or column).
I always do row-echelon form or reduced row-echelon form (RREF).

You haven't said what the dimensions of the matrix of A are...

Mark44 said:
I always do row-echelon form or reduced row-echelon form (RREF).

You haven't said what the dimensions of the matrix of A are...

If you do RREF, then you would count dependent column vectors (defects).
I think that dimensions of a matrix of linear operator [itex]\mathcal{A}[/itex] is [itex]3\times 3[/itex].

gruba said:
If you do RREF, then you would count dependent column vectors (defects).
I think that dimensions of a matrix of linear operator [itex]\mathcal{A}[/itex] is [itex]3\times 3[/itex].
No. A is a map from ##\mathbb{R}^3## to ##\mathbb{R}^4##, so the matrix for A can't possibly be 3 x 3.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and linear transformations. It involves the study of vectors, vector spaces, matrices, and linear operations.

2. Why is linear algebra important in science?

Linear algebra is important in science because it provides a way to model and analyze complex systems and relationships. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics.

3. What is the statement in linear algebra?

The statement in linear algebra refers to a mathematical expression or equation that is being checked for its validity or truthfulness. It typically involves variables, constants, and mathematical operations such as addition, multiplication, and inversion.

4. How do you check a statement in linear algebra?

To check a statement in linear algebra, you would typically use algebraic manipulations and operations to simplify or transform the statement into a more recognizable form. You would then compare it to known theorems or properties to determine its validity.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when checking a statement in linear algebra?

Some common mistakes to avoid when checking a statement in linear algebra include not following the proper order of operations, mistaking variables for constants, and forgetting to distribute or combine terms. It is also important to check for errors in algebraic manipulations and to use properties and theorems correctly.