Linear Algebra: Coordinatization of vectors

In summary, a vector is a mathematical object with both magnitude and direction, commonly represented by an arrow. Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. Coordinatization of vectors is the process of representing a vector in terms of its coordinates or components, which involves choosing a coordinate system and finding the vector's components along each axis. This is important in linear algebra as it allows for numerical representation and calculations involving vectors, making it a useful tool in many fields of science and engineering.
brinethery

Homework Statement

I am having a really hard time trying to understand problem #10. The link has problem 10 as well as my instructor's solution on the next page.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/81881704

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start. If anyone could explain this concept in terms of matrices, I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, never mind guys! I guess staring at something long enough makes me understand it.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of its magnitude. In linear algebra, vectors are used to represent quantities such as force, velocity, and displacement.

2. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of vectors, matrices, and linear transformations and is widely used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

3. What is coordinatization of vectors?

Coordinatization of vectors is the process of representing a vector in terms of its coordinates or components. This involves choosing a coordinate system and expressing the vector's magnitude and direction in terms of its coordinates.

4. How do you coordinatize a vector?

To coordinatize a vector, you first need to choose a coordinate system, which typically involves choosing a set of perpendicular axes. Then, you can find the components of the vector along each axis by projecting the vector onto each axis. The coordinates of the vector are then expressed as a combination of its components along each axis.

5. Why is coordinatization of vectors important in linear algebra?

Coordinatization of vectors is important in linear algebra because it allows us to represent vectors numerically and perform calculations involving vectors using matrices. This makes it easier to solve systems of linear equations and perform other operations in linear algebra, making it a powerful tool in many fields of science and engineering.