1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra define scalar products

1. Mar 1, 2015 #1
    • Member warned about posting with no effort
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How do you know if say [(x_1,y_1),(x_2,y_2)] = x_1x_2 + 7y_1y_2 ? or any other equation?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Assuming the 7 is a typo, it's a matter of definition.

4. Mar 1, 2015 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Your question isn't clear. Try rephrasing it. Specify the topic you are talking about. Are you asking something about "inner product" or "dot product"?

5. Mar 1, 2015 #4
    The question I was given on my Linear Algebra home assignment is as follows
    Witch of the following formulas define scalar products on R^2? Explain your answer.
    (a) ((x_1,y_1),(x_2,y_2)) = x_1y_2 + x_2y_1

(b) ((x_1,y_1),(x_2,y_2)) = x_1x_2 + 7y_1y_2

(c) ((x_1,y_1),(x_2,y_2)) = x_1x_2 + x_1y_2 + x_2y_1 + y_1y_2

I know how to show its positive def. and I know how to show it is symmetric. I Want to know how to show its bilinear.

Sorry I left out bilinear in my original question :/

6. Mar 1, 2015 #5

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

What's the definition of "bilinear" in your course materials? Is it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilinear_form ?
    Then show
    [itex] ( (u_x,u_y) + (v_x,v_y), (w_x,w_y) ) = ((u_x,u_y),(w_x,w_y)) + ((v_x,v_y)(w_x,w_y)) [/itex]
    and
    [itex]
    ( (u_x,u_y), (v_x,v_y)+ (w_x,w_y) ) = ((u_x,u_y),(v_x,v_y)) + ((u_x,u_y)(w_x,w_y)) [/itex]
    and
    [itex] (\lambda(u_x,u_y), (v_x,v_y)) = ((u_x,u_y),\lambda(v_x,v_y)) = \lambda( (u_x,u_y),(v_x,v_y)) [/itex]

7. Mar 1, 2015 #6
    Oh right okay. Thanks :smile:

8. Mar 3, 2015 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Also, most (all?) discussions of "inner product" would include the condition ##((x_1,y_1),(x_1,y_1)) \geq 0##, with ##>0## holding whenever ##(x_1,y_1) \neq (0,0)##. I don't know if your textbook or notes includes this, but if it does then you need to check that as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted