Linear algebra: Determine if this set is a vector space.

In summary, a vector space is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of vectors and two operations that satisfy a set of axioms. These axioms include closure, associativity, commutativity, identity elements, and inverse elements. The properties of a vector space include closure under addition and scalar multiplication, associativity, commutativity, existence of an additive identity, existence of additive inverses, distributivity, and compatibility with scalar multiplication. To determine if a set is a vector space, one must check if it satisfies all these properties. A set cannot be a vector space if it is not closed under addition or scalar multiplication, as closure is an essential property. Examples of vector spaces include sets of real numbers, n-dimensional vectors,
brinethery

Homework Statement

Determine if this set is a vector space. Either show that the necessary properties are satisfied, or give an example showing that at least one of them is not.

-The set P of all polynomials, with the usual definition of scalar multiplication, but with addition defined as polynomial multiplication (so f + g (warped addition) is equal to the product of f and g).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that scalar multiplication holds up, but I don't understand what to do with the polynomial multiplication part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hopefully this gets you started. For associativity of addition:

Let V be the set of all polynomials, and let f, g, and h be polynomials in V such that f + g = fg, f+h = fh, g+h = gh.

Associativity of addition says that if V is a vector space, then it satisfies the property that f + (g+h) = (f+g) + h:

f + (g + h) = f + gh = f(gh) = (fg)h = (f + g)h = (f+g) + h. Thus, V holds for the associativity property of addition.

Try using the same procedure for the remaining 3 properties.

well, for one thing, you have to define the coefficient set for the polynomials (or, tell us what underlying field you are considering for your proposed vector space).

since you don't say, my guess is you mean the field of real numbers, but this is just that: a guess.

if you suspect one of the axioms does not hold, it suffices to give a single counter-example for that axiom.

brinethery said:

Homework Statement

Determine if this set is a vector space. Either show that the necessary properties are satisfied, or give an example showing that at least one of them is not.

-The set P of all polynomials, with the usual definition of scalar multiplication, but with addition defined as polynomial multiplication (so f + g (warped addition) is equal to the product of f and g).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that scalar multiplication holds up, but I don't understand what to do with the polynomial multiplication part.

Put f and g both equal to the polynomial x. What is 2f + 2g in your warped addition? What should it be in a vector space?

Deveno said:
well, for one thing, you have to define the coefficient set for the polynomials (or, tell us what underlying field you are considering for your proposed vector space).

since you don't say, my guess is you mean the field of real numbers, but this is just that: a guess.

if you suspect one of the axioms does not hold, it suffices to give a single counter-example for that axiom.

Yes, it is a vector space. Sorry about that.

Dick said:
Put f and g both equal to the polynomial x. What is 2f + 2g in your warped addition? What should it be in a vector space?

Sorry, I REALLY don't get vector spaces. But I'll take a guess at your question.

Wouldn't you factor out the 2 and go from there?

2(f+g) = 2(f*g), they don't equal each other and therefore polynomial addition doesn't hold.

That is just a guess. So I'm thinking this would show that it's not a vector space.

brinethery said:
Sorry, I REALLY don't get vector spaces. But I'll take a guess at your question.

Wouldn't you factor out the 2 and go from there?

2(f+g) = 2(f*g), they don't equal each other and therefore polynomial addition doesn't hold.

That is just a guess. So I'm thinking this would show that it's not a vector space.

Ooops. I really picked the wrong number to scalar multiply there. Sorry. Try 3f+3g. What is 3f+3g (warped addition) and what is 3(f+g) (warped addition). They are supposed to be equal in a vector space. Just answer those and I think you'll have it. This is a bit more confusing than usual because of (warped addition) thing. It does make it hard to follow.

Last edited:
So what you're saying is that 3f+3g does not equal 3(f*g), right?

For example, let's say f=2 and g=5

(3)2+(3)5 does not equal 3(2*5) ?

Forgive me for my ignorance, this is a weird subject for me.

brinethery said:

It's a weird (but legitimate) question. 3f+3g (warped addition) is (3f)*(3g). 3(f+g) (warped addition) is 3(f*g). They are just substituting the '*' operation for the '+' operation. Are they equal?

brinethery said:

To stick with your original example, it's because (3)2*3(5) is not the same as 3(2*5).

I see where you're going and since I'm so unsure, I was just trying to confirm it :-)

Thank you again. I am so lost that even my questions don't make sense!

At this point I'm hoping to get through the class by the skin of my teeth :-/

brinethery said:
At this point I'm hoping to get through the class by the skin of my teeth :-/

Most questions shouldn't be this confusing. (warped addition) is odd. You probably won't see it again. Have a little more confidence.

1. What is a vector space in linear algebra?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of vectors and two operations, addition and scalar multiplication, which satisfy a set of axioms. These axioms include closure, associativity, commutativity, identity elements, and inverse elements.

2. What are the properties of a vector space?

The properties of a vector space include closure under addition and scalar multiplication, associativity, commutativity, existence of an additive identity, existence of additive inverses, distributivity, and compatibility with scalar multiplication. These properties ensure that the operations on vectors obey the laws of algebra.

3. How can I determine if a set is a vector space?

To determine if a set is a vector space, you must check if it satisfies all the properties of a vector space. This includes checking if the set is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, if the operations are associative and commutative, if there exists an additive identity and additive inverses, and if the set is compatible with scalar multiplication.

4. Can a set be a vector space if it is not closed under addition or scalar multiplication?

No, a set cannot be a vector space if it does not satisfy the closure properties. Closure is an essential property of vector spaces, and without it, the set is not considered a vector space.

5. What are some examples of vector spaces?

Examples of vector spaces include the set of real numbers, the set of n-dimensional vectors, the set of polynomials, and the set of continuous functions on a given interval. Other examples include the set of matrices, the set of complex numbers, and the set of functions from one vector space to another.