Linear Algebra: Find A for a 2x2 matrix and when A^1001 = I

There is no other way to do this problem, it can only be solved by considering A as a rotation. In summary, A must be a rotation by 2π/1001 to satisfy A^1001=I.
mahrap
1. Find A, a 2x2 matrix, where [itex]A^{1001}=I_{2}[/itex]2. I know that that if [itex]A^{2}=I_{2}[/itex], then A is either a reflection or a rotation by π.
3. If I use advantage of that fact that A in [itex]A^{2}=I_{2}[/itex] is a rotation by π then I know that [itex]A^{1001}=I_{2}[/itex] is true when A is a rotation by [itex]2π/1001[/itex]

Is there any other way to do this problem or is it only solvable by considering the fact that A is a rotation. Can you do it by considering A to be a reflection?

Physics news on Phys.org
mahrap said:
1. Find A, a 2x2 matrix, where [itex]A^{1001}=I_{2}[/itex]

2. I know that that if [itex]A^{2}=I_{2}[/itex], then A is either a reflection or a rotation by π.

3. If I use advantage of that fact that A in [itex]A^{2}=I_{2}[/itex] is a rotation by π then I know that [itex]A^{1001}=I_{2}[/itex] is true when A is a rotation by [itex]2π/1001[/itex]

Is there any other way to do this problem or is it only solvable by considering the fact that A is a rotation. Can you do it by considering A to be a reflection?

You said it yourself. A reflection satisfies A^2=I. How can one satisfy A^1001=I?

1. What is the formula for finding A in a 2x2 matrix?

The formula for finding A in a 2x2 matrix is A = (1/det(A)) * adj(A), where det(A) is the determinant of the matrix and adj(A) is the adjugate of the matrix.

2. How do you calculate the determinant of a 2x2 matrix?

The determinant of a 2x2 matrix is calculated by multiplying the top left and bottom right elements and subtracting the product of the top right and bottom left elements. It can be written as det(A) = ad - bc.

3. Can you provide an example of finding A for a 2x2 matrix?

Sure, let's say we have the matrix A = [[2, 3], [4, 5]]. The determinant of this matrix is (2*5) - (3*4) = -2. To find the adjugate, we simply swap the values in the main diagonal and change the signs of the values in the off-diagonal. So, adj(A) = [[5, -3], [-4, 2]]. Finally, we can find A by using the formula A = (1/det(A)) * adj(A), which gives us A = (-1/2) * [[5, -3], [-4, 2]] = [[-5/2, 3/2], [2, -1]].

4. How do you know if A^1001 = I for a given 2x2 matrix A?

To determine if A^1001 = I, we can use the fact that for any matrix A, A^k = (A^k-1)^2. So, we can first find A^2, then A^4, and so on until we reach A^1000. If A^1000 = I, then A^1001 = (A^1000)^2 = I^2 = I, which means A^1001 = I.

5. What is the significance of A^1001 = I in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, A^1001 = I is significant because it means that the matrix A has a periodic behavior. In other words, after 1001 multiplications, the resulting matrix will be the identity matrix. This can have various applications in areas such as differential equations, coding theory, and physics.