Linear algebra - general solutions to Ax=b

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a matrix and vector in linear algebra. The rank of the matrix is determined and conditions for consistency and a unique solution are found. The general solution for a specific value of t is also provided, along with the dimension and basis for the nullspace.
Villhelm
Could someone check my working for this?

Homework Statement

(Assuming that t is Real).

For a matrix, A =
1 0 3 t
0 1 t 0
1 0 2 -2t
2 0 -2 t2

and a vector, b = [5 2t 1 t]T

i) Find the rank of A and A|b for all values of t.
ii) Find conditions on t so that Ax=b is consistent, Ax=b has a unique solution.
iii) Find the general solution to Ax=b when t=-22, stating the dimension of the nullspace and a basis for it.

Homework Equations

Basic linear algebra?

The Attempt at a Solution

i) row reducing A|b ->
[1 0 3 t ...|5]
[0 1 t 0 ...|2t]
[0 0 1 3t ...|4]
[0 0 0 t(t+22) |t+22]

rank(A) = 4 when t(t+22) =/= 0, so t =/= -22 and t =/= 0 and rank(A) = 3 if t = -22 or t = 0
rank(A|b) = 4 when t =/= -22 and rank(A|b) = 3 if t = -22 or t = 0

ii) A|b is consistent when t =/= 0
and A|b has a unique solution when t =/= -22 (when t=-22, solution will be parametric) and t =/= 0 (t=0 is inconsistent)

iii) For t=-22, A|0 =
[1 0 3 -22 .|0]
[0 1 -22 0 .|0]
[0 0 1 -66 .|0]
[0 0 0 0 ...|0]

So, the dimension of the null space is 1 and:

-> x3= 66x4
-> x2= 22x3
-> x1= 22x4 - 3x3

let x4 = 1/22
-> x = [-8 66 3 1/22]T is a basis for the null space of A.

Is the above correct/enough working for an exam question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me. The only thing I would do differently is in part iii - I would write the basis for the nullspace as <-176, 1452, 66, 1>.

Thanks for checking it :cool:

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and other mathematical concepts to solve problems related to systems of linear equations.

2. What is a general solution to Ax=b?

A general solution to Ax=b is a set of values for the variables in a system of linear equations that satisfies all of the equations in the system. It is a solution that can be applied to any set of values for the constants in the system, making it a more versatile and comprehensive solution.

3. What is the purpose of finding general solutions to Ax=b?

The purpose of finding general solutions to Ax=b is to provide a more complete and universal solution to systems of linear equations. It allows for the identification of all possible solutions to the system, rather than just one specific solution. This can be useful in various applications, such as optimization problems and computer programming.

4. How is linear algebra used in real-world applications?

Linear algebra has many applications in various fields, such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It is used to model and solve problems related to systems of linear equations, such as determining the balance of chemical reactions, analyzing electrical circuits, and predicting stock market trends.

5. What are the main techniques used to find general solutions to Ax=b?

The main techniques used to find general solutions to Ax=b include Gaussian elimination, matrix decompositions (such as LU decomposition and QR decomposition), and eigenvalue methods (such as diagonalization and singular value decomposition). These techniques involve manipulating matrices and applying algebraic operations to solve for the variables in a system of linear equations.