1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra identities of inverse matricies/transpose

1. Jul 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Left Inversion in Rectangular Cases. Let A[tex]^{-1}_{left}[/tex] = (A[tex]^{T}[/tex]A)[tex]^{-1}[/tex]A[tex]^{T}[/tex] show A[tex]^{-1}_{left}[/tex]A = I.

This matrix is called the left-inverse of A and it can be shown that if A [tex]\in[/tex] R[tex]^{m x n}[/tex] such that A has a pivot in every column then the left inverse exists.

Right Inversion in Rectangular Cases. Let A[tex]^{-1}_{right}[/tex] = A[tex]^{T}[/tex](AA[tex]^{T}[/tex])[tex]^{-1}[/tex]. Show AA[tex]^{-1}_{right}[/tex] = I.

This matrix is called the right-inverse of A and it can be shown that if A [tex]\in[/tex] R[tex]^{m x n}[/tex] such that A has a pivot in every row then the right inverse exists.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried the left part and this is what I did:
    A[tex]^{-1}_{left}[/tex] / (A[tex]^{T}[/tex]A)[tex]^{-1}[/tex]= A[tex]^{T}[/tex]
    A[tex]^{-1}_{left}[/tex](A[tex]^{T}[/tex]A) = A[tex]^{T}[/tex]
    A[tex]^{-1}_{left}[/tex]A = A[tex]^{T}[/tex]( A[tex]^{T}[/tex])[tex]^{-1}[/tex] = I

I'm not sure if this is correct or not, so I want to see if I have the right idea. I know that A*A[tex]^{-1}[/tex] = I so I thought this would work. Also isn't the right one the exact same thing? Or do I have to do that one a different way? Oh and can someone also explain the concept of left and right inverse. I don't really understand it. Thanks

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2010 #2
    Sorry it's not showing right at all. I'll try to make it clearer. Al is A[tex]_{left}[/tex].

Attempt:
    Al^(-1) / (A^T * A)^(-1) = A^T
    Al^(-1) * (A^T * A) = A^T
    Al^(-1) * A = A^T * (A^T)^(-1) = I
    therefore, Al^(-1) * A = I

Hopefully that made what I was trying to do more clear

Can someone please help?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook