1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Linear algebra identities of inverse matricies

1. Jul 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Left Inversion in Rectangular Cases. Let A[tex]^{-1}_{left}[/tex] = (A[tex]^{T}[/tex]A)[tex]^{-1}[/tex]A[tex]^{T}[/tex] show A[tex]^{-1}_{left}[/tex]A = I.

This matrix is called the left-inverse of A and it can be shown that if A [tex]\in[/tex] R[tex]^{m x n}[/tex] such that A has a pivot in every column then the left inverse exists.

Right Inversion in Rectangular Cases. Let A[tex]^{-1}_{right}[/tex] = A[tex]^{T}[/tex](AA[tex]^{T}[/tex])[tex]^{-1}[/tex]. Show AA[tex]^{-1}_{right}[/tex] = I.

This matrix is called the right-inverse of A and it can be shown that if A [tex]\in[/tex] R[tex]^{m x n}[/tex] such that A has a pivot in every row then the right inverse exists.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried the left part and this is what I did:
    A[tex]^{-1}_{left}[/tex] / (A[tex]^{T}[/tex]A)[tex]^{-1}[/tex]= A[tex]^{T}[/tex]
    A[tex]^{-1}_{left}[/tex](A[tex]^{T}[/tex]A) = A[tex]^{T}[/tex]
    A[tex]^{-1}_{left}[/tex]A = A[tex]^{T}[/tex]( A[tex]^{T}[/tex])[tex]^{-1}[/tex] = I

I'm not sure if this is correct or not, so I want to see if I have the right idea. I know that A*A[tex]^{-1}[/tex] = I so I thought this would work. Also isn't the right one the exact same thing? Or do I have to do that one a different way? Oh and can someone also explain the concept of left and right inverse. I don't really understand it. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2010 #2
    Sorry it's not showing right at all. I'll try to make it clearer. Al is A.

Attempt:
    Al^(-1) / (A^T * A)^(-1) = A^T
    Al^(-1) * (A^T * A) = A^T
    Al^(-1) * A = A^T * (A^T)^(-1) = I
    therefore, Al^(-1) * A = I

Hopefully that made what I was trying to do more clear

Can someone please help?

4. Jul 20, 2010 #3

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Don't write divide when dealing with matrices, use the inverse notation.
    Write the following to compute the inverse of [tex]A^{T}A[/tex]
    [tex]
    (A^{T}A)^{-1}(A^{T}A)=I
    [/tex]
    Multiply on the right by the appropriate stuff to find the expression for the inverse and then use this in the definition of the left inverse. I should come out in the wash.

5. Jul 20, 2010 #4
    So, I did the (A[tex]^{T}[/tex]A)[tex]^{-1}[/tex](A[tex]^{T}[/tex]A) = I
    and because of the property AA[tex]^{-1}[/tex] = I the left side is I. So, is this proff enough for Aleft? Is Aright basically the same thing then?

6. Jul 21, 2010 #5

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

I was trying to get you to show that
    [tex]
    (A^{T}A)^{-1}=A^{-1}(A^{T})^{-1}
    [/tex]
    Then use this in the definition of the left inverse to compute that
    [tex]
    A_{left}^{-1}A=I
    [/tex]

7. Jul 21, 2010 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Are you allowed to assume that [itex]A^{-1}[/itex] and [itex](A^T)^{-1}[/itex] exist?

8. Jul 21, 2010 #7

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Hmm, most likely not! my bad...

9. Jul 21, 2010 #8

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

And Spiffy, I think you're done in your proof.

Mat

10. Jul 21, 2010 #9
    oh ok, thank you. Would I do the same thing for Aright? I'm paranoid because it seems the same but i'm asked about it as well so I expect it to be different.

11. Jul 21, 2010 #10

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

I think you'll be fine. Nothing to worry about.

Mat

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook