1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Identity matrices

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    I am having some difficulty with identity matrices in linear algebra at the moment. I am sure it is fairly simple to solve, but I just cannot follow the logic behind this particular problem.

I need to come up with a matrix B (2x2), such that B =/= I but B2 = I

Code (Text):
    I = (1 0)
        (0 1)
    If I am attempting this correctly, I have to find a number that isnt 1, but if you square it, it equals 1. So I came up with this.
    Code (Text):
    B = (-1 0)
        (0 -1)
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well? Have you tried it? What is
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}-1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{cc}-1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1\end{array}\right][/tex]
  4. Oct 1, 2008 #3
    well, dang, i don't know how to type matirices in latex, so i'll just try to give some hints.

let the matrix [tex] B=[B_1,B_2][/tex] where [tex] B_1,B_2[/tex] are the columns of B, so

[tex] B_1=[a.... b]^T, and, B_2=[c ... d]^T[/tex] now multiply [tex] BB=[BB_1 .... BB_2][/tex] now we want the following to hold

[tex]BB_1=e_1,BB_2=e_2[/tex] where [tex] I=[e_1 .... e_2][/tex], [tex]e_1=[1 .... 0]^T, e_2=[0 .... 1]^T[/tex]

now you will end up with some eq. involving in it a, b, c ,d so you can figure out the conditions that a, b, c, and d have to satisfy in order for BB=I. THis way you can find more than one such matrix.

I hope i was of any help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?