Linear Algebra: Linear Equation System -> Parameter Form

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a linear system of equations using the Gaussian method and finding the equation of the resulting plane in parameter form. The reduced row echelon form is used to determine the equation of the plane, and the normal vector is used to find a perpendicular vector for the parameter form.
daemon_dkm

Homework Statement

Consider the following linear system of equations:
x1+2x3-5x4 = 0
x1 + 4x2 +4x3 – 5x4 = 10
x1 + 2x2 + 3x3 – 5x4 = 5
4x1 + 2x2 + 9x3 – 20x4 = 5

b) Solve the equation system with the Gaussian method.
c) The solution set describes a plane. Specify it in the parameter form.

Homework Equations

Parameter form: [itex]\vec{r}[/itex]= [itex]\vec{r}[/itex]0 + λ[itex]\vec{v}[/itex] + β[itex]\vec{w}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

3. My Work
After Gauss?:
1 2 0 -5 0
0 2 4 0 10
0 0 3 0 5
0 0 0 0 0

Rank is 3 so there is one free chooseable variable. I chose x4 and ended with the equation:
[itex]\vec{X}[/itex] =
[tex]\begin{vmatrix}-10/3\\5/3\\5/3\\0\end{vmatrix}[/tex] + [itex]\vec{x}[/itex]4 * [tex]\begin{vmatrix}5\\0\\0\\1\end{vmatrix}[/tex]

Which I think is the plane’s formula? I’m not totally sure. My teacher said that he wouldn’t be putting the answers up, so I wanted a second opinion on my numbers. Please and thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey daemon_dkm and welcome to the forums.

Plugging this into octave, I got the following reduced row echelon form:

1.00000 0.00000 2.00000 -5.00000 0.00000
0.00000 1.00000 0.50000 0.00000 2.50000
0.00000 0.00000 0.00000 0.00000 0.00000
0.00000 0.00000 0.00000 0.00000 0.00000

This means setting x4 as our dummy we get x2 + x3 = 2.5 and x1 + x3 = 5x4 which means that adding the two together gives us x2 + x3 + x1 + x3 = 2.5 + 5x4 then minus x4 to LHS gives the plane equation:

x1 + x2 + 2x3 - 5x4 - 2.5 = 0, which can be converted to n . (r - r0) = 0 where n is the normal vector, r is an arbitrary point and r0 is a vector one the plane. the normal is anything that is a multiple (except 0) of the vector (1,1,2,-5) and n.r0 = 2.5. where you can solve for any value of r0 you wish.

Do you know how to go from ax + by + cz + dw + e to other formulas?

ax + by + cz + dw + e

the normal vector from that plane equation is n= (a, b, c, d), so then you need to find a vector that's perpendicular to the normal vector. Then you need to find another vector that's perpendicular to both of them to use them for the parameter form?

1. What is a linear equation system in parameter form?

A linear equation system in parameter form is a way of representing a system of linear equations using parameters instead of specific values. This allows for a more general solution to the system, as the parameters can take on any value.

2. How do you convert a linear equation system to parameter form?

To convert a linear equation system to parameter form, you first need to solve for one variable in terms of the other variables. Then, you can assign a parameter to each of the remaining variables. The resulting equations will be in parameter form.

3. What is the advantage of using parameter form for solving linear equation systems?

The advantage of using parameter form is that it allows for a more general solution to the system. This means that you can easily find solutions for a wide range of values for the parameters, rather than just specific values.

4. Can a linear equation system have multiple solutions in parameter form?

Yes, a linear equation system can have multiple solutions in parameter form. Since the parameters can take on any value, there can be an infinite number of solutions to the system.

5. How is parameter form used in real-world applications?

Parameter form is commonly used in real-world applications to model and solve systems of linear equations. For example, it can be used in economics to represent supply and demand curves, or in physics to model the motion of objects under various forces.