1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra+ linear operators

1. May 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In [tex]R^{3}[/tex] ||x||= [tex]a_{1}[/tex]*|[tex]x_{1}[/tex]|+ [tex]a_{2}[/tex]*|[tex]x_{2}[/tex]|+ [tex]a_{3}[/tex]*|[tex]x_{3}[/tex]|. where [tex]a_{i}[/tex]>0

What is ||A||(indused norm = sup||Ax|| as ||x||=1). (Suppose we know the coeffisients of the matrix/operator A)??

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If A is given by a matrix, it's the square root of the largest eigenvalue of AA* (*=hermitian conjugate or transpose in the real case).

4. May 22, 2008 #3
    Thanks, but do you know how to proove it?

5. May 22, 2008 #4
    By the way, do you want to say that it does nod depend on a_i??

6. May 22, 2008 #5
    (i just need the real case)

7. May 22, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

|Av|^2=v^(T)*A^T*A*v. A^T*A is a symmetric matrix, so it has a complete orthogonal set of eigenvectors. Can you show the eigenvalues are nonnegative? Now expand a general v in terms of those eigenvectors and go from there...

8. May 22, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hey, that's not a matrix operator at all, is it? You just want to maximize the inner product of (a1,a2,a3) and x. That's much easier. Think Cauchy-Schwarz.

9. May 22, 2008 #8
    Unfortunately I do not understand why

|Av|^2=v^(T)*A^T*A*v is true.. Why does it not depend on a_i??
    2. I don't think I know how to proove that the eigenvalues are nonnegative or where to go from there..

10. May 22, 2008 #9
    I think that it is a matrix operator..

11. May 22, 2008 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What you wrote is the dot product of (a1,a2,a3) with (x1,x2,x3). That's a matrix operator only in the sense it's a 1x3 matrix. You want to maximize it. Will you look up the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. Please?

12. May 23, 2008 #11
    The thing is that the dot product does not have the modules..
    Even if I do maximize it.. I do not see where to go from there..

13. May 23, 2008 #12
    Cauchy Shwartz: (x,y)<=||x||*||y||

14. May 23, 2008 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, and add "with equality holding only when y is a multiple of x". That's the part you want.

15. May 24, 2008 #14

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Dick, I think you have misinterpreted the question. What he wrote was the definition of norm (not an inner product between (a1, a2, a3) and (x1, x2, x3)- a1, a2, and a3 are fixed for all x) THEN he asked
    "What is ||A||(indused norm = sup||Ax|| as ||x||=1). (Suppose we know the coeffisients of the matrix/operator A)??"

In other words, what norm does that defined norm on the vector space induce on the linear operators.

The definition of "induced norm" of A is ||A||= lub ||Ax|| for all x with norm 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?