Linear algebra - matrices and polynomials

In summary, to prove that for each square matrix B there is a real polynomial p(x) (not the zero polynomial) so p(B)=0, you can consider the set 1,B,B^2,B^3,...,B^{n^2} and determine if it is linearly dependent. If it is, you can find coefficients that will make the sum of the set equal to 0, which can be represented by the polynomial p(x) = \sum_{i=0}^{n^2} a_i x^i.
Kate2010

Homework Statement

Prove for each square matrix B there is a real polynomial p(x) (not the zero polynomial) so p(B)=0

Homework Equations

Rank-nullity? dimv = r(T) + n(T)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the dimension for nxn square matrices (n²) and a basis (1 in one place and zero in the rest for each place in the matrix) but I don't really know where to go from here. Any ideas would be great :) thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider,
[tex]1,B,B^2,B^3,...,B^{n^2}[/tex]
is this set linearly dependent? (can n^2+1 many vectors be linearly independent in a n^2 dimensional vector space?) If they are linearly dependent you can find coefficients a0,a1,a2,...,a(n^2) such that,
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n^2} a_i B^i = 0[/tex]
so consider,
[tex]p(x) = \sum_{i=0}^{n^2} a_i x^i[/tex]

Thank you, that helped a lot.

1. What is the difference between a matrix and a polynomial?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, while a polynomial is an algebraic expression with terms of different powers. Matrices are used to represent and solve systems of linear equations, while polynomials are used to represent and solve equations involving powers and variables.

2. How do you perform addition and multiplication of matrices?

Matrix addition involves adding corresponding elements in the same position in two matrices, while matrix multiplication involves multiplying each element in a row of the first matrix by each element in a column of the second matrix and then summing the products. The dimensions of the matrices must be compatible for these operations to be performed.

3. What is the determinant of a matrix and how is it calculated?

The determinant of a matrix is a scalar value that can be used to analyze the properties of a matrix. It is calculated by a specific formula that involves the elements of the matrix and their positions within the matrix.

4. How are matrices used in real-world applications?

Matrices are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, economics, computer graphics, and statistics. They can be used to represent and solve systems of equations, model data, and transform geometric shapes.

5. What are the applications of polynomials in mathematics?

Polynomials are used to represent and solve equations involving powers and variables. They are also used in calculus to graph functions, find critical points, and determine rates of change. In addition, polynomials have applications in fields such as physics and engineering for modeling and analyzing systems and phenomena.