Linear Algebra problem using Row Operations

In summary: for me, though, i'm not really sure what i'm looking for until i get to rref. if my rows are just "scrambled", that's not much help.
Fluorescent

Homework Statement

Determine the values of k for which the system of linear equations has (i) a unique solution, (ii) no solution, (iii) infinitely many solutions. Write down the complete solution in cases (i) and (iii):
x + y + kz = 1
x + ky + z = 1
kx + y + z = 1

Homework Equations

Tried sticking it into a matrix:

[1 1 k | 1]
[1 k 1 | 1]
[k 1 1 | 1]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm aware I then need to get that matrix into some sort of Reduced Echelon Form so I can analyse things from it. This is what I'm finding difficult as the best I can ever get is:

[(k+2) (k+2) (k+2) | 3]
[ 0 (k-1) (k-1) | 0]
[ 1 1 k |1]

That's not even close to be honest.

I can already see that k=1 is when there's an infinite solution (as is pretty obvious) but even that I can't actually prove.

Any guidance would be a appreciated, thank you :).

Physics news on Phys.org
row-reduction isn't a bad idea, but the matrix you have isn't row-reduced. for example, you don't have a leading 1 in the first row, and you should.

you're going to have to divide by stuff, and of course, since your denominators will contain expressions in k, there's always the chance that when these expressions = 0, your system will "blow up" so be sure to check these cases separately.

Fluorescent said:

Homework Statement

Determine the values of k for which the system of linear equations has (i) a unique solution, (ii) no solution, (iii) infinitely many solutions. Write down the complete solution in cases (i) and (iii):
x + y + kz = 1
x + ky + z = 1
kx + y + z = 1

Homework Equations

Tried sticking it into a matrix:

[1 1 k | 1]
[1 k 1 | 1]
[k 1 1 | 1]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm aware I then need to get that matrix into some sort of Reduced Echelon Form so I can analyse things from it. This is what I'm finding difficult as the best I can ever get is:

[(k+2) (k+2) (k+2) | 3]
[ 0 (k-1) (k-1) | 0]
[ 1 1 k |1]

That's not even close to be honest.

I can already see that k=1 is when there's an infinite solution (as is pretty obvious) but even that I can't actually prove.

Any guidance would be a appreciated, thank you :).

As Deveno has indicated, you need to separate k = 0 from k ≠ 0, and do them separately. For the case k≠0 you can start with the easier system with augmented matrix
[[k 1 1 1],[k k^2 k k],[k,k k^2 k]], where this means [row1,row2,row3]. After subtracting row 1 from the others you will have [[k 1 1],[0 k^2-1 k-1 k-1],[0 k-1 k^2-1 k-1]]. Now you need to separate k = 1 and k ≠ 1 before continuing, if you need to continue at all. I disagree with the supposed requirement of getting a reduced echelon form: that is not necessary for answering the question; it is perfectly OK to have k instead of 1 in the top left, provided that k is not 0.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
As Deveno has indicated, you need to separate k = 0 from k ≠ 0, and do them separately. For the case k≠0 you can start with the easier system with augmented matrix
[[k 1 1 1],[k k^2 k k],[k,k k^2 k]], where this means [row1,row2,row3]. After subtracting row 1 from the others you will have [[k 1 1],[0 k^2-1 k-1 k-1],[0 k-1 k^2-1 k-1]]. Now you need to separate k = 1 and k ≠ 1 before continuing, if you need to continue at all. I disagree with the supposed requirement of getting a reduced echelon form: that is not necessary for answering the question; it is perfectly OK to have k instead of 1 in the top left, provided that k is not 0.

RGV

to be fair, getting upper (or lower) triangular is good enough. at least then, we can "back-substitute".

getting to rref just makes the solution "transparent". i suppose it's a matter of what works for you.

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of vectors, matrices, and linear transformations.

What are row operations in linear algebra?

Row operations are a set of operations that can be performed on the rows of a matrix to manipulate it and solve linear equations. These operations include swapping rows, multiplying a row by a constant, and adding a multiple of one row to another.

How do row operations help solve linear algebra problems?

Row operations help to transform a matrix into a simpler form, making it easier to solve linear equations. By performing these operations, we can reduce a matrix to its row echelon form or reduced row echelon form, which reveals important information about the solutions to linear equations.

What is the purpose of using row operations in linear algebra?

The purpose of using row operations is to simplify and transform matrices so that we can solve linear equations and systems of equations. These operations allow us to manipulate the equations without changing the solutions, making it easier to identify and solve for unknown variables.

What are some common applications of linear algebra in real life?

Linear algebra has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, computer science, economics, and physics. Some examples include image and signal processing, data compression, machine learning, and optimization problems.