Linear Algebra: Proof involving basic properties

In summary, a square matrix A is considered nilpotent if A^k = 0 for some k > 0. It has been proven that if A is nilpotent, then I+A is invertible. One approach to proving this is by induction on the size of the matrix, using the fact that the trace of a nilpotent matrix is equal to 0. Another approach is to use the fact that 1-x^k = (1+x)(1-x+x^2+...+(-1)^kx^(k-1)), and substituting A for x and choosing k such that Ak = 0. This shows that if I+A is invertible, then I = (I+A)(I+A)^
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE

Homework Statement

A square matrix A is called nilpotent if A^k =0 for some k>0. Prove that if A is nilpotent then I+A is invertible.

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess would be to do a proof by induction (on the size of the matrix)

So for the trivial cases:

Let A be a 2x2 Nilpotent matrix... thus it is of the form

[0 x] [0 0]
[0 0] Or [x 0]

Clearly when we add I to A in this case, we get get a matrix, whose det =/= 0

Im having trouble doing the more general cases, seeing as that i cannot mentally see what nilpotent matrices of a larges size look like.

Is this even the best way to approach this problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would using the fact that the trace of a nilpotent matrix is equal to 0 help in any way? perhaps coupled with the trace of I= n?

I can think of one way to do this. If I+A is invertible, then det(I-A) is non-zero, and that implies that 1 is not an eigenvalue of A. So we need to prove that last statement. Do it by contradiction:

Suppose 1 is an eigenvalue of A, that implies there is a nonzero vector v such that Av=v. Given that A is nilpotent, can such a non-zero vector v exist?

Unfortunately this method isn't constructive; while it does show that I+A is invertible, it cannot come up with the inverse of I+A itself. So does anyone else have a better idea?

Oh, I think it can be done directly.

Remember that [tex]1- x^k= (1+ x)(1- x+ x^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ (-1)^k x^{k-1})[/tex]? If that still works for matrices, then taking x= A and k such that Ak= 0, you are done.

HallsofIvy said:
Oh, I think it can be done directly.

Remember that [tex]1- x^k= (1+ x)(1- x+ x^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ (-1)^k x^{k-1})[/tex]? If that still works for matrices, then taking x= A and k such that Ak= 0, you are done.

How does this statement prove that it is invertible?

SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE said:
How does this statement prove that it is invertible?

If [itex]I+A[/itex] is invertible then [itex]I=(I+A)(I+A)^{-1}[/itex] ...does that look anything like what Hallsofly posted?:wink:

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and linear transformations. It involves the study of vector spaces, matrices, and their properties.

2. How are basic properties used in proofs involving linear algebra?

Basic properties, such as the commutative and associative properties, are used in proofs to manipulate equations and show the validity of a statement. They can also be used to simplify expressions and make them easier to solve.

3. What are some common basic properties used in linear algebra?

Some common basic properties used in linear algebra include the distributive property, the identity property, and the inverse property. These properties allow for the manipulation of equations and the derivation of new equations.

4. How can understanding basic properties help in solving problems in linear algebra?

Understanding basic properties can help in solving problems by providing a framework for manipulating equations and solving for unknown variables. This can be especially useful when dealing with complex systems of equations or matrices.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using basic properties in proofs involving linear algebra?

While basic properties are useful tools in proofs, they can also lead to errors if not used carefully. It is important to understand the properties and their limitations in order to avoid incorrect conclusions in proofs involving linear algebra.