1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra: Proof involving basic properties

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A square matrix A is called nilpotent if A^k =0 for some k>0. Prove that if A is nilpotent then I+A is invertible.

3. The attempt at a solution

My guess would be to do a proof by induction (on the size of the matrix)

So for the trivial cases:

Let A be a 2x2 Nilpotent matrix... thus it is of the form

[0 x] [0 0]
    [0 0] Or [x 0]

Clearly when we add I to A in this case, we get get a matrix, whose det =/= 0

Im having trouble doing the more general cases, seeing as that i cannot mentally see what nilpotent matrices of a larges size look like.

Is this even the best way to approach this problem?

Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2
    Would using the fact that the trace of a nilpotent matrix is equal to 0 help in any way? perhaps coupled with the trace of I= n?

4. Sep 26, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

I can think of one way to do this. If I+A is invertible, then det(I-A) is non-zero, and that implies that 1 is not an eigenvalue of A. So we need to prove that last statement. Do it by contradiction:

Suppose 1 is an eigenvalue of A, that implies there is a nonzero vector v such that Av=v. Given that A is nilpotent, can such a non-zero vector v exist?

Unfortunately this method isn't constructive; while it does show that I+A is invertible, it cannot come up with the inverse of I+A itself. So does anyone else have a better idea?

5. Sep 26, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oh, I think it can be done directly.

Remember that [tex]1- x^k= (1+ x)(1- x+ x^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ (-1)^k x^{k-1})[/tex]? If that still works for matrices, then taking x= A and k such that Ak= 0, you are done.

6. Sep 29, 2008 #5
    How does this statement prove that it is invertible?

7. Sep 29, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If [itex]I+A[/itex] is invertible then [itex]I=(I+A)(I+A)^{-1}[/itex] ...does that look anything like what Hallsofly posted?:wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?