1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra: Solving a system of equations for damped oscillation

1. Apr 10, 2013 #1
    So we are given two equations:

$$ \ddot{x} - \dot{x} - x = cost (t) $$

and

$$ x(t) = a sin(t) + b cos(t) $$

The question asks to find a and b.

How would one go about doing this? I thought maybe substituting the $$ cos(t) $$ from equation 1 into equation 2 would work but then what system of equations would I have to solve? I am completely clueless on how to set up this problem. Any suggestions and hints are appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2013 #2
    Was there any additional information?

Try taking the first and second derivatives of x

4. Apr 10, 2013 #3
    There was not much additional information which would have helped me arrive at a solution. What would I do after taking the second derivative of x with respect to t? Plug it into equation 1? But then How would I solve my equations then?

5. Apr 10, 2013 #4
    Ok, just wondering.

Take the first and second derivatives of x, then plug those into the first equation. You should see from there

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted