Linear algebra - Spectral decompositions: Eigenvectors of projections

In summary, the problem involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a linear transformation T, defined by T = 5P1 - 2P2, on R^3. While there may be some confusion regarding the eigenvalues of projections (which are not necessarily 0 or 1 for T), you can find the eigenvectors by creating matrices for P1 and P2 and then using them to calculate the matrix for T. Alternatively, you can apply T to the basis vectors to find the eigenvectors. The solution for b) is that the eigenvalues are 5 and -2, with corresponding eigenvectors of <(1,0,1),(0,1,0)> and <(-1
TorcidaS

Homework Statement

Let P1 and P2 be the projections defined on R^3 by:

P1(x1, x2, x3) = (1/2(x1+x3), x2, 1/2(x1+x3))
P2(x1, x2, x3) = (1/2(x1-x3), 0, 1/2(-x1+x3))

a) Let T = 5P1 - 2P2 and determine if T is diagonalizable.
b) State the eigenvalues and associated eigenvectors of T.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For a), I believe it is diagonalizable because P1 + P2 gives us (x1, x2, x3). Although I'm could be wrong on that...

It's mainly b) that I'm concerned for. By the theorem, (T = c1P1 + c2P2...+.. where c are eigenvalues) 5 and -2 are the eigenvalues (although this sort of confuses me because I had thought the eigenvalues of projections are always 1 and 0).

How can we find the eigenvectors? Had this been a matrix it's simple, subtract the eigenvalue from the main diagonal, simplifiy, and find the nullspace.

Also, the solution to b) is for eigenvalue 5, the eigenvectors are <(1,0,1),(0,1,0)> and for eigenvalue -2, the eigenvector is <(-1,0,1)> (so my guess some matrix is formed?)

It feels like I'm missing something obvious here. Can anyone please help me out?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
TorcidaS said:

Homework Statement

Let P1 and P2 be the projections defined on R^3 by:

P1(x1, x2, x3) = (1/2(x1+x3), x2, 1/2(x1+x3))
P2(x1, x2, x3) = (1/2(x1-x3), 0, 1/2(-x1+x3))

a) Let T = 5P1 - 2P2 and determine if T is diagonalizable.
b) State the eigenvalues and associated eigenvectors of T.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For a), I believe it is diagonalizable because P1 + P2 gives us (x1, x2, x3). Although I'm could be wrong on that...
I don't see how that follows. Is there some theorem that you're using?
It's mainly b) that I'm concerned for. By the theorem, (T = c1P1 + c2P2...+.. where c are eigenvalues) 5 and -2 are the eigenvalues (although this sort of confuses me because I had thought the eigenvalues of projections are always 1 and 0).
T isn't a projection, so its eigenvalues don't have to be 0 or 1.
How can we find the eigenvectors? Had this been a matrix it's simple, subtract the eigenvalue from the main diagonal, simplifiy, and find the nullspace.
You should be able to write down the matrices for P1 and P2 by inspection, and then you can calculate the matrix for T. Or you can find the nth-column of the matrix for T by applying T to the nth basis vector.
Also, the solution to b) is for eigenvalue 5, the eigenvectors are <(1,0,1),(0,1,0)> and for eigenvalue -2, the eigenvector is <(-1,0,1)> (so my guess some matrix is formed?)

It feels like I'm missing something obvious here. Can anyone please help me out?

Thanks

1. What is spectral decomposition in linear algebra?

Spectral decomposition is a method in linear algebra that breaks down a matrix into a combination of simpler matrices. It is used to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix, which are important in various applications such as optimization, data analysis, and machine learning.

2. What are eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are properties of a matrix that describe how the matrix behaves when multiplied by a vector. An eigenvector is a vector that does not change direction when multiplied by a matrix, while an eigenvalue is a scalar that represents the amount by which the eigenvector is scaled. They are important in understanding the behavior and properties of a matrix.

3. How are eigenvectors and eigenvalues related to projections?

In spectral decomposition, a projection matrix is decomposed into a combination of eigenvectors and eigenvalues. The eigenvectors of a projection matrix are the directions in which the projection is performed, while the corresponding eigenvalues represent the amount of projection in each direction. This allows us to understand and manipulate the behavior of projections in linear algebra.

4. What is the significance of eigenvectors and eigenvalues in data analysis?

In data analysis, eigenvectors and eigenvalues are used to find the most important features or patterns in a dataset. Eigenvectors with large eigenvalues represent the directions in which the data is most spread out, while those with small eigenvalues represent the directions with less variation. This helps in dimensionality reduction and feature selection in machine learning and data analysis.

5. How is spectral decomposition used in practical applications?

Spectral decomposition is used in various applications such as image processing, signal processing, and machine learning. In image processing, it is used for denoising, compression, and feature extraction. In signal processing, it is used for filtering and feature extraction. In machine learning, it is used for dimensionality reduction, feature selection, and data clustering.