1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra - Spectral decompositions: Eigenvectors of projections

1. Apr 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let P1 and P2 be the projections defined on R^3 by:

P1(x1, x2, x3) = (1/2(x1+x3), x2, 1/2(x1+x3))
    P2(x1, x2, x3) = (1/2(x1-x3), 0, 1/2(-x1+x3))

a) Let T = 5P1 - 2P2 and determine if T is diagonalizable.
    b) State the eigenvalues and associated eigenvectors of T.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For a), I believe it is diagonalizable because P1 + P2 gives us (x1, x2, x3). Although I'm could be wrong on that...

It's mainly b) that I'm concerned for. By the theorem, (T = c1P1 + c2P2...+.. where c are eigenvalues) 5 and -2 are the eigenvalues (although this sort of confuses me because I had thought the eigenvalues of projections are always 1 and 0).

How can we find the eigenvectors? Had this been a matrix it's simple, subtract the eigenvalue from the main diagonal, simplifiy, and find the nullspace.

Also, the solution to b) is for eigenvalue 5, the eigenvectors are <(1,0,1),(0,1,0)> and for eigenvalue -2, the eigenvector is <(-1,0,1)> (so my guess some matrix is formed?)

It feels like I'm missing something obvious here. Can anyone please help me out?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I don't see how that follows. Is there some theorem that you're using?
    T isn't a projection, so its eigenvalues don't have to be 0 or 1.
    You should be able to write down the matrices for P1 and P2 by inspection, and then you can calculate the matrix for T. Or you can find the nth-column of the matrix for T by applying T to the nth basis vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook