Find the eigenvectors from general equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding eigenvectors by using the reduced row echelon form of a matrix and expressing the pivot variables in terms of the free variables. It also mentions that finding eigenvectors is equivalent to finding the null space of a matrix.
DryRun
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I know the eigenvalues, and i have derived the general equation as follows:
-x1 + x2 = 0
x1 - x2 = 0
0.x3 = 0

What is the eigenvector?

The attempt at a solution

I am trying to find the exact procedure to solve this, but there seems to be none.
As a general rule of thumb (i think) i try to express both x1 and x2 in terms of x3.

so,
x1 = x2.
x2 = x1
x3 = 0

The eigenvector is: [1 1 0] ??

In the book, it says there are 2 eigenvectors for the same eigenvalue used for the general equation above.

Physics news on Phys.org
sharks said:

Homework Statement

I know the eigenvalues, and i have derived the general equation as follows:
-x1 + x2 = 0
x1 - x2 = 0
0.x3 = 0

What is the eigenvector?

The attempt at a solution

I am trying to find the exact procedure to solve this, but there seems to be none.
As a general rule of thumb (i think) i try to express both x1 and x2 in terms of x3.
There are actually two free variables here, x2 and x3.

Your system above could be simplified, by eliminating the second equation (which is equivalent to the first). The third equation places no restrictions on x3, which can be any value.
sharks said:
so,
x1 = x2.
x2 = x1
x3 = 0
Write them this way.
x1 = x2
x2 = x2 (obviously true)
x3 = ... x3 (also obviously true)

This means that a vector x with components x1, x2, and x3, can be written as the sum of scalar multiples of two vectors: <1, 1, 0>T and <0, 0, 1>T. These will do for your eigenvectors for whatever eigenvalue you're working with in this problem.
sharks said:
The eigenvector is: [1 1 0] ??

In the book, it says there are 2 eigenvectors for the same eigenvalue used for the general equation above.

Thanks, Mark44. Your advice is enlightening. :)

So, as a general rule, from now onwards (i don't want to rely on visual interpretation to find the free variables) i will do row echelon on the system of equations, which will give me the free variables, and from there, i can find the eigenvector/s by expressing all the pivot variables in terms of the free variables. I recall that i did the same thing to find the special solution/s or null space.
So, am i correct in adopting this way of thinking about finding eigenvectors?

sharks said:
Thanks, Mark44. Your advice is enlightening. :)

So, as a general rule, from now onwards (i don't want to rely on visual interpretation to find the free variables) i will do row echelon on the system of equations, which will give me the free variables, and from there, i can find the eigenvector/s by expressing all the pivot variables in terms of the free variables. I recall that i did the same thing to find the special solution/s or null space.
Yes, that's pretty much it. If you get your matrix in reduced row echelon form, all of the entries above or below a leading entry will be 0. From that form you can write equations that give your pivot variables in terms of the free variables.

I should add that in reduced row echelon form, the system you showed in post #1 looks like this:
[1 1 0 |0]

From this I can get the equations I showed earlier.

sharks said:
I recall that i did the same thing to find the special solution/s or null space.
Just thought I'd point out when you're looking for the eigenvectors, that's exactly what are you doing. You are solving (A-λI)x=0, that is, finding the null space of (A-λI).

Thanks for pointing out this aspect of eigenvectors, vela. :) No more cowering whenever i see an eigenvector problem.

1. What is an eigenvector?

An eigenvector is a vector that does not change its direction when a linear transformation is applied to it. In other words, the eigenvector remains in the same direction but may be scaled by a constant factor.

2. Why is finding eigenvectors important?

Finding eigenvectors is important because they provide insight into the behavior of linear transformations and can be used to simplify complex matrices and systems of equations. They are also commonly used in applications such as data analysis, image processing, and machine learning.

3. How do you find eigenvectors from a general equation?

The process of finding eigenvectors from a general equation involves solving the characteristic equation, which is obtained by setting the determinant of the matrix containing the coefficients of the equation equal to zero. The resulting eigenvalues are then used to find the corresponding eigenvectors by solving a system of equations.

4. Can there be more than one eigenvector for a given eigenvalue?

Yes, it is possible for there to be multiple eigenvectors for a given eigenvalue. In fact, a matrix can have an infinite number of eigenvectors associated with the same eigenvalue.

5. How are eigenvectors and eigenvalues related?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are related in that the eigenvalues represent the scaling factors by which the eigenvectors are multiplied when a linear transformation is applied. In other words, the eigenvalues determine the magnitude of the change in direction of the eigenvectors.