1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Subspace Checks

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine whether the following sets form subspaces of R[itex]^{2}[/itex]

A){([itex]x_{1}[/itex],[itex]x_{2}[/itex])[itex]^{T}[/itex] | [itex]x_{1}[/itex][itex]x_{2}[/itex]=0}
    B){([itex]x_{1}[/itex],[itex]x_{2}[/itex])[itex]^{T}[/itex] | [itex]x_{1}[/itex]=3[itex]x_{2}[/itex]}
    2. Relevant equations
    checks:
    Does zero vector exist?
    Is the space closed under addition?
    Is the space closed under scalar multiplication?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know B is a subspace, but I'm not sure why. I can check the zero vector and the scalar, but I'm not 100% sure how to define closed under addition.

Also, I know A is not a subspace. Again, I know how to check for the zero vector, but I'm lost on addition and scalar multiplication, at least as a general form.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Give me some examples of vectors in A.

4. Feb 7, 2013 #3
    [1,0] [0,1] [n,0] [0,n].... one value has to be zero for x1*x2=0 I had the answers backwards. B is a subspace and A is not.

5. Feb 7, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good! So check addition [1,0]+[0,1]=[1,1]. Is [1,1] in A?

6. Feb 7, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To prove closure under addition take [x,y] in B, i.e. x=3y and [u,v] in B, so u=3v. You want to show [x,y]+[u,v]=[x+u,y+v] is in B. Can you show that?

7. Feb 8, 2013 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not "does the zero vector exist" but rather "is the zero vector in the subspace"
    The zero vector, <0, 0>, clearly exists!

If <x, y> and <u, v> are in A then we know that xy= 0 and uv= 0. Their sum is <x+u, y+ v> so we need to look at (x+ u)(y+ v)= xy+ xv+ uy+ uv= xv+ uy. Is that necessarily 0?
    If <x, y> and <u, v> are in B then we know that x= 3y and u= 3v. Their sum is <x+u, y+ v> so we need to compare x+ u and 3(y+ v). Are they necessarily equal?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook