Linear Algebra - Subspace Checks

In summary: Good! So check addition [1,0]+[0,1]=[1,1]. Is [1,1] in A?[1,0] [0,1] [n,0] [0,n]... one value has to be zero for x1*x2=0 I had the answers backwards. B is a subspace and A is not.To prove closure under addition take [x,y] in B, i.e. x=3y and [u,v] in B, so u=3v. You want to show [x,y]+[u,v]=[x+u,y+v] is in
cowmoo32

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following sets form subspaces of R[itex]^{2}[/itex]

A){([itex]x_{1}[/itex],[itex]x_{2}[/itex])[itex]^{T}[/itex] | [itex]x_{1}[/itex][itex]x_{2}[/itex]=0}
B){([itex]x_{1}[/itex],[itex]x_{2}[/itex])[itex]^{T}[/itex] | [itex]x_{1}[/itex]=3[itex]x_{2}[/itex]}

Homework Equations

checks:
Does zero vector exist?
Is the space closed under addition?
Is the space closed under scalar multiplication?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know B is a subspace, but I'm not sure why. I can check the zero vector and the scalar, but I'm not 100% sure how to define closed under addition.

Also, I know A is not a subspace. Again, I know how to check for the zero vector, but I'm lost on addition and scalar multiplication, at least as a general form.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Give me some examples of vectors in A.

[1,0] [0,1] [n,0] [0,n]... one value has to be zero for x1*x2=0 I had the answers backwards. B is a subspace and A is not.

cowmoo32 said:
[1,0] [0,1] [n,0] [0,n]... one value has to be zero for x1*x2=0

Good! So check addition [1,0]+[0,1]=[1,1]. Is [1,1] in A?

cowmoo32 said:
[1,0] [0,1] [n,0] [0,n]... one value has to be zero for x1*x2=0 I had the answers backwards. B is a subspace and A is not.

To prove closure under addition take [x,y] in B, i.e. x=3y and [u,v] in B, so u=3v. You want to show [x,y]+[u,v]=[x+u,y+v] is in B. Can you show that?

cowmoo32 said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following sets form subspaces of R[itex]^{2}[/itex]

A){([itex]x_{1}[/itex],[itex]x_{2}[/itex])[itex]^{T}[/itex] | [itex]x_{1}[/itex][itex]x_{2}[/itex]=0}
B){([itex]x_{1}[/itex],[itex]x_{2}[/itex])[itex]^{T}[/itex] | [itex]x_{1}[/itex]=3[itex]x_{2}[/itex]}

Homework Equations

checks:
Does zero vector exist?
Not "does the zero vector exist" but rather "is the zero vector in the subspace"
The zero vector, <0, 0>, clearly exists!

Is the space closed under addition?
Is the space closed under scalar multiplication?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know B is a subspace, but I'm not sure why. I can check the zero vector and the scalar, but I'm not 100% sure how to define closed under addition.

Also, I know A is not a subspace. Again, I know how to check for the zero vector, but I'm lost on addition and scalar multiplication, at least as a general form.
If <x, y> and <u, v> are in A then we know that xy= 0 and uv= 0. Their sum is <x+u, y+ v> so we need to look at (x+ u)(y+ v)= xy+ xv+ uy+ uv= xv+ uy. Is that necessarily 0?
If <x, y> and <u, v> are in B then we know that x= 3y and u= 3v. Their sum is <x+u, y+ v> so we need to compare x+ u and 3(y+ v). Are they necessarily equal?

1. What is a subspace in linear algebra?

A subspace in linear algebra is a subset of a vector space that satisfies three properties: it contains the zero vector, it is closed under vector addition, and it is closed under scalar multiplication. In other words, the subspace contains all linear combinations of its vectors.

2. How do you check if a set of vectors form a subspace?

To check if a set of vectors form a subspace, you need to verify that the three properties are satisfied. This can be done by checking if the zero vector is in the set, if the set is closed under vector addition (that is, if the sum of any two vectors in the set is also in the set), and if the set is closed under scalar multiplication (that is, if multiplying any vector in the set by a scalar also results in a vector in the set).

3. What is the importance of subspace checks in linear algebra?

Subspace checks are important in linear algebra because subspaces are fundamental building blocks of vector spaces. They help us understand and manipulate vector spaces, which have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. Can a subspace have an infinite number of vectors?

Yes, a subspace can have an infinite number of vectors. In fact, many vector spaces have an infinite number of vectors, such as the space of all polynomials or the space of all continuous functions.

5. What is the difference between a subspace and a span in linear algebra?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies certain properties, while a span is the set of all possible linear combinations of a given set of vectors. In other words, a span is a subspace that is generated by a specific set of vectors. Every subspace is a span, but not every span is a subspace.