1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Vector Spaces: Prove equivalence

1. Feb 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the following are equivalent:
    1. N(A)=0
    2. A is nonsingular
    3. Ax=b has a unique solution for each b that exists in R^n.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think you prove this by showing that 1 implies 2, 2 implies 3, & 3 implies 1.
    But after that I don't know how to prove that.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2010 #2
    Start by trying one of the three implications you must show.
    For example, for 1 implies 2, what does N(A) = 0 tell you about the equation Ax=0? Can you imply this to determine that A is invertible?
  4. Feb 28, 2010 #3
    if N(A)=0 then in the equation Ax=0, x equals 0. But then how do you show that A is invertible from that?
  5. Feb 28, 2010 #4
    What does Ax=0 tell you about the columns of A? Let a1, ...., an be some vector in A, and the components of x are x1,..., xn. Then from Ax=0, you get equations of the form a1x1 + ..... + anxn = 0, and from N(A)=0 you get that all the xi's are 0. What can you conclude from this?
  6. Feb 28, 2010 #5
    Ok I think I figured the first part out:
    The columns of A are linearly independent.
    So, A is row equivalent to the identity matrix, and Ax=0 and Ix=0 have only the solution, x=0. So, the A=E1E2...Ek, which says that the product of invertiable matrices is invertiable and E is invertiable, so A is invertable.

So, then How do you imply that 2 equals 3, and 3 equals 1?
  7. Feb 28, 2010 #6
    Give them a try, pick one of the two. What have you done so far?

For example, 2 to 3:
    A is non singular, So A-1 exists. Then multiply Ax=b by A-1 . What does this imply? Is this unique?
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  8. Feb 28, 2010 #7
    And the other directions are probably similar. It's all a matter of shuffling between invertibility, linear dependence, etc.
  9. Feb 28, 2010 #8
    ok, i think that for 2 implies 3. A being nonsingular says that A inverse exists. So, then you can show that x= (inverseA)*B which proves #3. Is this right?

Now, the one I am stuck on is 3 implies 1. Any hints to get me started?
  10. Feb 28, 2010 #9
    Yes, you are correct and it is easy to understand that this is in fact a unique solution (since for all other solutions you can simply left multiply by A-1 to get the same conclusion.

I have not yet thought about 3 to 1. Think about it. Maybe there is some trick you can use from what you already proved in this problem.

You are assuming that Ax=b has a unique solution. Then b=0 also has a unique solution, and you know what it is.
  11. Feb 28, 2010 #10
    I still have no idea on the last one. I have looked all through my book...
  12. Mar 1, 2010 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That shows that Ax=b has a solution. You should prove that this solution is unique.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook