1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Vector Spanning Question

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1
    I honestly don't even know where to start with this question. The question is:

Give an example of a span of three vectors u, v, w in four dimensions that corresponds to a plane thru the origin?

I know that the span of the vectors is the set of linear combinations of the vectors. I don't understand how to write a span of some vectors that happen to span four dimensions. I looked through all my notes and my linear algebra book and I can't seem to figure it out, so I don't have any work to sure because I can't figure out where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How about if you start by choosing a single vector in four dimensions, for example [1 0 0 0]. What is the span of this vector?

4. Feb 1, 2012 #3
    Well, it goes through a plane right? That means, even though they're four dimensional, they in effect only cover three dimensions. which is why a set of three can span this subspace. (I think, it's been awhile since I've done linear).

5. Feb 1, 2012 #4
    Well, that's just a line - but I don't see how that helps me ?

6. Feb 1, 2012 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That was just to get you started. Now let's add a second vector: what is the span of these two vectors? {[1 0 0 0], [0 1 0 0]}

7. Feb 2, 2012 #6
    They aren't multiplies of each other, so they must be a plane. To find the final vector could I simply say

a [1 0 0 0] + b [0 1 0 0] = x

Pick arbitrary scalars for a and b, since, by definition, x would have to be in the plane formed by a and b?

8. Feb 2, 2012 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's exactly what you would do. The key is that the third vector must also lie in the plane, which means it must be a linear combination of the first two vectors.

If instead you had picked something like x = [0 0 1 0], then the span of the three vectors would be too large: a 3-dimensional space instead of a plane.

9. Feb 2, 2012 #8
    Thanks for the help. I get it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook