Linear Algebra Vector Spanning Question

In summary, the conversation is about finding an example of a span of three vectors in four dimensions that corresponds to a plane through the origin. The person is struggling with understanding how to write a span of vectors in four dimensions and asks for help. They are given a starting point of choosing a single vector and gradually adding more to form a plane. The key is that the third vector must also be a linear combination of the first two in order for it to lie in the plane.
caels
I honestly don't even know where to start with this question. The question is:

Give an example of a span of three vectors u, v, w in four dimensions that corresponds to a plane thru the origin?

I know that the span of the vectors is the set of linear combinations of the vectors. I don't understand how to write a span of some vectors that happen to span four dimensions. I looked through all my notes and my linear algebra book and I can't seem to figure it out, so I don't have any work to sure because I can't figure out where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about if you start by choosing a single vector in four dimensions, for example [1 0 0 0]. What is the span of this vector?

Well, it goes through a plane right? That means, even though they're four dimensional, they in effect only cover three dimensions. which is why a set of three can span this subspace. (I think, it's been awhile since I've done linear).

jbunniii said:
How about if you start by choosing a single vector in four dimensions, for example [1 0 0 0]. What is the span of this vector?

Well, that's just a line - but I don't see how that helps me ?

caels said:
Well, that's just a line - but I don't see how that helps me ?

That was just to get you started. Now let's add a second vector: what is the span of these two vectors? {[1 0 0 0], [0 1 0 0]}

jbunniii said:
That was just to get you started. Now let's add a second vector: what is the span of these two vectors? {[1 0 0 0], [0 1 0 0]}

They aren't multiplies of each other, so they must be a plane. To find the final vector could I simply say

a [1 0 0 0] + b [0 1 0 0] = x

Pick arbitrary scalars for a and b, since, by definition, x would have to be in the plane formed by a and b?

caels said:
They aren't multiplies of each other, so they must be a plane. To find the final vector could I simply say

a [1 0 0 0] + b [0 1 0 0] = x

Pick arbitrary scalars for a and b, since, by definition, x would have to be in the plane formed by a and b?

Yes, that's exactly what you would do. The key is that the third vector must also lie in the plane, which means it must be a linear combination of the first two vectors.

If instead you had picked something like x = [0 0 1 0], then the span of the three vectors would be too large: a 3-dimensional space instead of a plane.

jbunniii said:
Yes, that's exactly what you would do. The key is that the third vector must also lie in the plane, which means it must be a linear combination of the first two vectors.

If instead you had picked something like x = [0 0 1 0], then the span of the three vectors would be too large: a 3-dimensional space instead of a plane.

Thanks for the help. I get it now.

1. What is a vector in linear algebra?

A vector in linear algebra is a mathematical object that represents both magnitude and direction. It is usually represented by an arrow pointing from one point to another, and can be used to describe quantities such as velocity, force, and displacement.

2. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear mappings between them. It involves the use of algebraic techniques to solve problems involving linear equations, matrices, and vector spaces.

3. What is the spanning set of a vector in linear algebra?

The spanning set of a vector is a set of vectors that, when combined using linear combinations, can generate any vector in a given vector space. It is used to represent the entire space, and is crucial in understanding the properties and relationships between vectors.

4. How do you determine if a set of vectors spans a vector space?

To determine if a set of vectors spans a vector space, you can use the span test. This involves creating a matrix with the given vectors as its columns and finding its reduced row echelon form. If the matrix has a pivot in every row, then the vectors span the vector space. If there is a row without a pivot, then the vectors do not span the vector space.

5. Why is the concept of vector spanning important in linear algebra?

The concept of vector spanning is important in linear algebra because it helps us understand the properties and relationships between vectors in a given vector space. It also allows us to solve systems of linear equations, find solutions to optimization problems, and analyze data using techniques such as principal component analysis.