1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra: Vectors/Proofs

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1
    Hello PF!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove the following: if u and v are two vectors in Rn such that u[itex]\cdot[/itex]w = v[itex]\cdot[/itex]w for all wεRn , then we have u = v

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    u[itex]\cdot[/itex]w - v[itex]\cdot[/itex]w = 0
    w[itex]\cdot[/itex](u - v) = 0

I'm not sure what to do after applying the distributive property (in reverse). How do I go about proving that the vectors u and v are equal? I considered establishing two cases in which w = 0 and u-v = 0 but that doesn't help me out. Are there any properties that I can use to construct this proof?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got some typos in there. I'd fix them. But pick w=(u-v). If (u-v).(u-v)=0 then what can you say about (u-v). Look at the properties of the dot product.

4. Sep 16, 2013 #3
    Another way to think of it is this: [tex] w \cdot (u-v) = 0 [/tex] for every choice of w. What can you say about a vector t whose inner product with any vector whatever is 0? Given a particular vector t with non-zero components, you can always find a vector w such that [tex] w \cdot t \ne 0 [/tex] For example w = t.

So if u-v has any non-zero components, what can you conclude?

That word "every" is very powerful.

5. Sep 17, 2013 #4
    If the vectors are non-zero, then we can conclude that u-v must be equal to zero, and therefore u=v. We can also conclude that vectors w and (u-v) must be orthogonal because their dot product is equal to zero. However, I am not sure how to prove that the vectors are nonzero. Am I supposed to assume that they are and work from there?

EDIT: Never mind, I've just realized (after reading bmath's post more carefully) that this represents EVERY choice of w. So if w does not equal zero, then u-v must be equal to zero to produce a dot product of zero. Therefore, u = v. If there are any gaps in my understanding please let me know. Thanks for your help guys.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  6. Sep 17, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a little confused. You've got w.(u-v)=0 for EVERY w. So you can pick w=(u-v). So now you've got (u-v).(u-v)=0. You should have a property that tells you that for a vector V, V.V=0 if and only if V=0. So?

7. Sep 17, 2013 #6
    see answer below

8. Sep 17, 2013 #7
    it is perfectly possible for x and y to be non-zero vectors with [tex]x \cdot y = 0[/tex] Such vectors are called "orthogonal" . You can see this for yourself by looking at [tex] (1,0) \cdot (0,1) [/tex] The important point here is not that there is some vector w such that [tex] w \cdot (u-v) = 0 [/tex] but that you get 0 for every possible w.

There is in fact a property that tells you if [tex] v \cdot\ v = 0 [/tex] then v = 0. The dot product of v with itself is the square of the length of the vector. If it is 0 you have a vector of length 0 -- i.e. the zero vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted