1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Combinations of Dependent Vectors

1. Feb 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If (u,v,w) is a family of linearly dependent vectors in vector space V and vector x is in the span of (u,v,w), then x=αu+βv+γw has infinitely-many choices for α,β, and γ.

2. Relevant equations

If (u,v,w) is linearly dependent, then there exists an α, β, and γ, not all equal to zero, such that αu+βv+γw=0.

3. The attempt at a solution

My first attempt, which didn't go anywhere, was to assume that there were only a finite number of choices and see if that led to a contradiction.

For my second attempt, I started with the fact that (u,v,w) is linearly dependent. Then I multiplied both sides by an arbitrary scalar n. Then I thought I could add x to both sides and manipulate the equation somehow, but that didn't lead anywhere either.

If I was dealing with the vector space R^n, then x=αu+βv+γw would have infinitely-many solutions because you would end up with at least one free variable since at least one of the vectors is just a linear combination of the others. Can you apply that reasoning to all vector spaces?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As you say, since (u,v,w) is linearly independent so there exist [itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\beta[/itex], [itex]\gamma[/itex], not all 0, such that [itex]\alpha u+ \beta v+ \gamma w[/itex]= 0.

Further, since (u,v,w) spans V there exist, for any x in V, scalars a, b, c such that au+ bv+ cw= x.

Now, what can you say about [itex]au+ bv+ cw+ R(\alpha u+ \beta v+ \gamma w)[/itex] for any real number R?

4. Feb 14, 2009 #3
    It equals x?

(Rα+a)u +(Rβ+b)v +(Rγ+c)w = x

And since Rα or Rβ or Rγ is not zero, the equation has infinitely-many solutions?

5. Feb 14, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, every different choice for R gives a different linear combination but they are all equal to x!

And it is doing exactly what YOU suggested:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook