Differential equations true/false question

In summary, the statement states that if y1 and y2 are solutions to y"-y = 0, then c1y1+c2y2 represents all solutions to the differential equation for all scalars c1 and c2. However, this is only true if y1 and y2 are linearly independent. Otherwise, the statement is false.
freshman2013

Homework Statement

If y1 and y2 are solutions to y"-y = 0 then c1y1+c2y2 represent all solutions to the differential equation for all scalars c1 and c2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, my TA's solutions to his worksheet said it was true, and I'm not sure if he implied that y1 and y2 are linearly independent solutions, since in that case it would definitely be true. I'm not sure if I got the vocab mixed up or something. (y1 can be e^x and y2 can be 2e^x and that would make my original question false, right?)

Physics news on Phys.org
freshman2013 said:

Homework Statement

If y1 and y2 are solutions to y"-y = 0 then c1y1+c2y2 represent all solutions to the differential equation for all scalars c1 and c2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, my TA's solutions to his worksheet said it was true, and I'm not sure if he implied that y1 and y2 are linearly independent solutions, since in that case it would definitely be true. I'm not sure if I got the vocab mixed up or something. (y1 can be e^x and y2 can be 2e^x and that would make my original question false, right?)

You have it exactly right. Unless the two solutions are linearly independent the answer is "false".

1. Is it possible to solve a differential equation without initial conditions?

No, initial conditions are necessary to fully determine the solution to a differential equation. Without them, there would be an infinite number of possible solutions.

2. Can a differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple solutions. In some cases, the solutions may be equivalent and differ only by a constant, while in other cases, they may be completely different functions.

3. Are differential equations only used in mathematics?

No, differential equations are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They provide a powerful tool for modeling and understanding complex systems.

4. Can all differential equations be solved analytically?

No, not all differential equations have analytical solutions. Some may require numerical methods or approximations to find a solution, especially for more complex or nonlinear equations.

5. Are differential equations only used for continuous systems?

No, differential equations can also be used to model and analyze discrete systems, such as population growth or the spread of a disease. In these cases, the equations may be in the form of difference equations rather than differential equations.