1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Functionals Inner Product

1. Dec 10, 2006 #1
    Assume that [tex] m<n [/tex] and [tex] l_1,l_2,...,l_m [/tex] are linear functionals on an n-dimensional vector space
    [tex] X [/tex].

Prove there exists a nonzero vector [tex] x [/tex] [tex] \epsilon [/tex] [tex] X [/tex] such that [tex] < x,l_j >=0 [/tex] for [tex] 1 \leq j \leq m[/tex]. What does this say about the solution of systems of linear equations?

This implies
    [tex] l_j(x) [/tex] [tex] \epsilon [/tex] [tex] X^\bot [/tex] for [tex] 1 \leq j \leq m [/tex] or [tex] l_j(x)=0 [/tex] for [tex] 1 \leq j \leq m [/tex]. Since it is stated in the problem that [tex] l_1,l_2,...,l_m [/tex] are linear functionals on the vector space X, [tex] l_j(x)=0 [/tex]. Does this reasoning even help me find the proof? I am stuck.

If you have trouble reading this, it is also at http://nirvana.informatik.uni-halle.de/~thuering/php/latex-online/olatex_33882.pdf

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

I don't know what [itex]X^\perp[/itex] means, nor why you are taking the inner product rather than just applying the functional to the vector. You'll obviously need to involve n and use n>m, and the easiest way to use this is appeal to the existence of a basis with n elements.

4. Dec 10, 2006 #3
    so basically I'm trying to prove that for some nonzero [tex]x[/tex], [tex] l_j(x)=0 [/tex]?

5. Dec 10, 2006 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

Yea, for some x, for all j.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?