1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear or Nonlinear Differential Equation?

1. Aug 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is this differential equation linear or nonlinear? Assume that y' means dy/dx.

2. Relevant equations

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]

Is this differential equation linear or nonlinear? Assume that y' means dy/dx.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\sqrt{xy'+2x2}[/itex]=5

3. The attempt at a solution

It seems to me that squaring both sides and subtracting 2x2 from both sides renders a linear equation:

xy' + 2x2=25.

xy' = 25 - 2x2

This is of the form

an(x)y(n) + an-1(x)y(n-1) + ... a0(x)y=g(x)

if you take a0 = 0... isn't it?

The problem is that my professor says otherwise; namely, that it is a nonlinear DE.

Where am I making my mistake?

Thanks.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2012 #2

Bacle2

Science Advisor

The way I know it, in order to decide if the operator is linear,you express it (the

differential operator) in the form f(y) and then see if f is linear in that sense, i.e.,

if h is another function, is f(y+h)=f(y)+f(h) ,is f(cy)=cf(y).

4. Aug 31, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

WolframAlpha characterizes it as a first-order linear ordinary differential equation.

5. Aug 31, 2012 #4
    Where on Wolfram Alpha are you able to find something that tells you whether a DE is linear or nonlinear?

6. Aug 31, 2012 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think you will find unanimity on this question. Some sources say a linear DE is one that has the form ##a_n(x)y^{(n)} + a_{n-1}(x)y^{(n-1)} + ... a_0(x)y=g(x)## while others any DE that can be put in that form is linear. It depends on the definition your professor gave.

7. Aug 31, 2012 #6

Bacle2

Science Advisor

But I still believe the operator definition holds. This agrees with your definition, Mr

LCKurtz : yourform is linear on the function y.

8. Aug 31, 2012 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But the question was about this DE:

##\sqrt{xy'+2x^2}=5##

Certainly the left side is not linear in y' as it stands, although it can be put in the linear form by squaring.

9. Sep 5, 2012 #8
    My professor gave the "can be put in linear form" definition; hence my confusion. Thank you guys for easing my mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook