1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear speed and rotational quantity

1. Jun 30, 2008 #1
    What linear speed must a 6.0×10−2 hula hoop have if its total kinetic energy is to be 0.15 J ? Assume the hoop rolls on the ground without slipping.

So, i know that the formula for linear momentum is p=mv. however, the hoop is circular, meaning it has to have a rotational velocity (omega). I cant seem to figure out how the Joules play into any equation that helps link linear and rotational speeds. Anyone know of any formulas I can use for this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

If something is both translating and rotating, how do you determine its total kinetic energy?

What does "rolling without slipping" tell you about how translational speed relates to rotational speed?

4. Jun 30, 2008 #3
    if something is rolling without slipping, it has rotational speed but not translational speed?

5. Jun 30, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

No, that would be an example of pure rotation. (And complete slipping!)

Read this: Kinetic Energy of Rolling Object

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?