Retaining Linear Terms of v and δ in Expansion Calculations

In summary, while doing calculations, two terms were encountered: ##\frac{(v•\vec \nabla)v}{a(t)}## and ##\vec \nabla•[\rho(1+\delta)v]## where all quantities have spatial dependence except for "a" which only depends on time. The first term was found to be canceled out, and the second term was rewritten as ##\frac{\rho(\nabla•v)}{a}##, with the argument being given to only retain linear terms in the ratio ##\frac{\nu}{\delta}##. The importance of this ratio is that if ##|\frac{\nu}{\delta}|## is small, then the most significant terms are
Apashanka
While doing some calculations I came across some terms which are ##\frac{(v•\vec \nabla)v}{a(t)}## and ##\vec \nabla•[\rho(1+\delta)v]## where all quantities have spatial dependence other than "a" which has only time dependence ,
the first term here is canceled and the the second term is rewritten as ##\frac{\rho(\nabla•v)}{a}## and the argument is given "retaining only linear terms of ##v /\delta##"
Can anyone please help me in how to check this out??

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably ##|\frac{\nu}{\delta}|## is small.

mathman said:
Presumably ##|\frac{\nu}{\delta}|## is small.
Sorry I didn't got ,it's linear terms of "##v##" or "##\delta##"

Apashanka said:

Why would "[itex]v/\delta[/itex]" mean anything other than [itex]v[/itex] divided by [itex]\delta[/itex]? If you mean terms linear in two independent variablews, say "linear in [itex]v[/itex] and [itex]\delta[/itex]".

If [itex]|\epsilon| \ll 1[/itex] is small, then the most significant terms are those independent of [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and those which are linear in [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. Higher order terms can be neglected.

Apashanka said:
Linear in the ratio ##\frac{\nu}{\delta}##.

Apashanka said:
and the argument is given "retaining only linear terms of ##v /\delta##"
Apashanka said:
Sorry I didn't got ,it's linear terms of "v" or "δ"

mathman said:
Linear in the ratio ##\frac{\nu}{\delta}##.
I believe that linear in the ratio is the only reasonable meaning. I sincerely doubt that "/" should be interpreted as "or".

What is the definition of linear terms of expansion?

Linear terms of expansion refer to the terms in an equation or mathematical expression that involve a variable raised to the first power. These terms are often used to represent a linear relationship between two variables.

What is the purpose of using linear terms of expansion in scientific research?

Linear terms of expansion are commonly used in scientific research to model and analyze linear relationships between variables. This allows scientists to make predictions and draw conclusions about how changes in one variable may affect another.

How are linear terms of expansion different from non-linear terms?

Linear terms of expansion involve a variable raised to the first power, while non-linear terms involve a variable raised to a power other than one. This means that linear terms represent a constant rate of change, while non-linear terms represent a changing rate of change.

What are some examples of linear terms of expansion in scientific equations?

Some examples of linear terms of expansion include the slope and y-intercept in a linear equation, the coefficient of a variable in a linear regression model, and the parameters in a linear function.

How can linear terms of expansion be used to make predictions in scientific research?

By analyzing the linear terms of expansion in a mathematical model, scientists can make predictions about how changes in one variable may affect another. This can be useful in many fields of research, such as predicting the growth of a population or the effects of a certain treatment on a disease.