Linear Thermal Expansion: Bridge Joints

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of spacing needed for a bridge made of concrete segments to allow for expansion due to an increase in temperature. The linear expansion coefficient and temperature conversion equations are provided, and the attempt at a solution is shown. The correct answer is given and a clarification is made regarding the difference in temperature units.
Warden619
SOLVED

Homework Statement

A bridge is made with segments of concrete 80 m long (at the original temperature).
If the linear expansion coefficient is 1.2 x 10^-5 (1/degrees C), how much spacing is
needed to allow for expansion for an increase in temperature of 50 degrees F? Answer in units of cm.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]L = [tex]\alpha[/tex] L(0) [tex]\Delta[/tex]T

Degrees F = [(9/5) x Degrees C] + 32

The Attempt at a Solution

This should be so simple...
Degrees in C is simply (50-32) / (9/5) = 10 degrees C (This is delta T)
Convert 80 meters to 8000 cm.

So just plug and chug...

[tex]\Delta[/tex]L = (1.2 x 10^-5) (8000) (10)
= 0.96 cm

If the bridge is composed of two segments, then each one will expand 0.96, so you would need 1.92 cm of space according to my work.

But the solutions manual says the answer is 2.6667 cm. This has been driving me up the wall, any assistance would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Warden619, welcome to PF. 50°F absolute is 10°C absolute, but a difference of 50°F is not a difference of 10°C. Know what I mean?

So then the actual change in temperature is simply 50 / (9/5) = 27.777. We just throw out the 32 from the formula. Thank you very much, I knew it had to be something simple I was missing.

My pleasure.

What is linear thermal expansion?

Linear thermal expansion is a phenomenon where an object, such as a bridge joint, increases in length or volume when exposed to a change in temperature. This is due to the individual particles within the object gaining kinetic energy and moving further apart, resulting in an overall increase in size.

Why is linear thermal expansion important for bridge joints?

Bridge joints are designed to allow for movement and flexibility in a bridge structure. When the temperature changes, the bridge materials will expand or contract, and the joints help to accommodate this movement without causing damage to the overall structure.

How is linear thermal expansion measured?

Linear thermal expansion is typically measured using a coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) value, which is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts per unit length when exposed to a change in temperature. This value is typically expressed in units of length per degree Celsius or Kelvin.

What factors can affect linear thermal expansion in bridge joints?

The CTE value of the materials used in the bridge joint, the temperature range that the joint will be exposed to, and the design and construction of the joint itself can all affect linear thermal expansion. Additionally, external factors such as environmental conditions and sun exposure can also impact thermal expansion.

How do engineers account for linear thermal expansion in bridge joint design?

Engineers will consider the CTE values of the materials used in the bridge joint, the expected temperature range, and the amount of movement that needs to be accommodated in the design process. They may also incorporate expansion joints or other mechanisms to allow for movement and prevent damage to the bridge structure.