1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Transformation and Determinant

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Define L: R(mxm) to R(nxn). If L(A)=L(B), prove or disprove that det(A)=det(B).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I can prove that this is true.

L(A)=L(B) means that L(A)-L(B)=L(A-B)=0.

Now let C be the matrix representation of L. We have two possibilities:

1) C is nonsingular. If C is nonsingular, then C(A-B)=0, so A-B=0. Then det(A)-det(B)=0 and det(A)=det(B).

2) C is singular. Now I have an issue-- I don't know what to do!

Am I on the right path? Should I be disproving this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd say if you don't aren't told L is nonsingular then you should try and disprove your proposition. Case 2) is definitely a problem!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  4. Nov 6, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

An obvious point is that if L is linear transformation the maps every matrix to the 0 matrix, then L(A)= L(B) for all matrices A and B.

5. Nov 6, 2012 #4
    Does one counter-example suffice, then? Would the transformation sending everything to the 0 matrix be one?

If not, it should be simple enough to construct. Perhaps something like:

L(a,b,c,d)=(a+b,c,d,0) where that is a 2x2 matrix I wrote out in one line, then for (0,1,1,1) and (1,0,1,1) have the same image but different determinants.

Thanks!

6. Nov 6, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

L(X)=0 certainly works and that's enough. If you'd rather have a less trivial example, yours works too. But one example suffices.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook