Linear Transformation and Determinant

In summary, the conversation discusses the proposition that if L(A)=L(B), then det(A)=det(B) for a linear transformation L that maps from R(mxm) to R(nxn). The conversation explores two cases: if L is nonsingular, then det(A)=det(B), but if L is singular, then there is an issue and the proposition is not necessarily true. It is suggested to try and disprove the proposition, and a counter-example is given in which the transformation L maps everything to the 0 matrix, leading to different determinants for two matrices that have the same image under L. It is concluded that one counter-example is enough to disprove the proposition.
schaefera

Homework Statement

Define L: R(mxm) to R(nxn). If L(A)=L(B), prove or disprove that det(A)=det(B).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can prove that this is true.

L(A)=L(B) means that L(A)-L(B)=L(A-B)=0.

Now let C be the matrix representation of L. We have two possibilities:

1) C is nonsingular. If C is nonsingular, then C(A-B)=0, so A-B=0. Then det(A)-det(B)=0 and det(A)=det(B).

2) C is singular. Now I have an issue-- I don't know what to do!

Am I on the right path? Should I be disproving this?

Physics news on Phys.org
schaefera said:

Homework Statement

Define L: R(mxm) to R(nxn). If L(A)=L(B), prove or disprove that det(A)=det(B).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can prove that this is true.

L(A)=L(B) means that L(A)-L(B)=L(A-B)=0.

Now let C be the matrix representation of L. We have two possibilities:

1) C is nonsingular. If C is nonsingular, then C(A-B)=0, so A-B=0. Then det(A)-det(B)=0 and det(A)=det(B).

2) C is singular. Now I have an issue-- I don't know what to do!

Am I on the right path? Should I be disproving this?

I'd say if you don't aren't told L is nonsingular then you should try and disprove your proposition. Case 2) is definitely a problem!

Last edited:
An obvious point is that if L is linear transformation the maps every matrix to the 0 matrix, then L(A)= L(B) for all matrices A and B.

Does one counter-example suffice, then? Would the transformation sending everything to the 0 matrix be one?

If not, it should be simple enough to construct. Perhaps something like:

L(a,b,c,d)=(a+b,c,d,0) where that is a 2x2 matrix I wrote out in one line, then for (0,1,1,1) and (1,0,1,1) have the same image but different determinants.

Thanks!

schaefera said:
Does one counter-example suffice, then? Would the transformation sending everything to the 0 matrix be one?

If not, it should be simple enough to construct. Perhaps something like:

L(a,b,c,d)=(a+b,c,d,0) where that is a 2x2 matrix I wrote out in one line, then for (0,1,1,1) and (1,0,1,1) have the same image but different determinants.

Thanks!

L(X)=0 certainly works and that's enough. If you'd rather have a less trivial example, yours works too. But one example suffices.

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the linear structure of the original space. In simpler terms, it is a transformation that preserves lines and parallelism.

2. How is a linear transformation represented?

A linear transformation can be represented by a matrix. The columns of the matrix represent the images of the basis vectors of the original space in the new space. The resulting matrix is called the transformation matrix.

3. What is the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a square matrix is a number that represents the scaling factor of the linear transformation represented by the matrix. It is also used to determine if the matrix has an inverse and to solve systems of linear equations.

4. How is the determinant of a matrix calculated?

The determinant of a 2x2 matrix can be calculated by multiplying the elements on the main diagonal and subtracting the product of the elements on the opposite diagonal. For larger matrices, there are various methods such as cofactor expansion or using properties of determinants.

5. What is the significance of the determinant in linear algebra?

The determinant is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used in various applications such as solving systems of linear equations, finding inverses of matrices, and determining the linear independence of vectors. It also has geometric significance as it represents the volume or area of a parallelogram or parallelepiped transformed by the matrix.