Linear transformation exercise

So instead of -2,2,2, it should be -2,2,1. And instead of 1,1,1, it should be 3,3,2. These changes make the matrix symmetric, and that allows us to conclude that it is diagonalizable.In summary, the conversation discusses a linear transformation and its associated calculations, and then focuses on solving a specific problem involving the transformation. The conversation includes questions about the invertibility of the transformation, finding a basis for the kernel and image, and determining eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Finally, the conversation presents two approaches for solving the problem, with a minor correction to the matrix used in one approach.
knightmetal
Hello,

I'm given this linear transformation and I'm asked to do the typical calculations (kernel, image, dimensions, etc.) but there's one thing I'm not sure I understand, here's the exercise:

f(1,0,0)=(-1,-2,-3)
f(0,1,0)=(2,2,2)
f(0,0,1)=(0,1,2)

a) Is f invertible?
b)Find a basis of Ker(f) and a basis of Im(f)
c)Find eigenvalues, eigenvectors. is f diagonalizable?
d) Solve the system f^2(x)=0

Can anybody point me in the right direction on how to solve d) ?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
knightmetal said:
Hello,

I'm given this linear transformation and I'm asked to do the typical calculations (kernel, image, dimensions, etc.) but there's one thing I'm not sure I understand, here's the exercise:

f(1,0,0)=(-1,-2,-3)
f(0,1,0)=(2,2,2)
f(0,0,1)=(0,1,2)

a) Is f invertible?
b)Find a basis of Ker(f) and a basis of Im(f)
c)Find eigenvalues, eigenvectors. is f diagonalizable?
d) Solve the system f^2(x)=0

Can anybody point me in the right direction on how to solve d) ?

Thanks a lot

Write [itex]\,\mathbf{x}=(x_1,x_2,x_3)\,[/itex] , so that [tex]f^2(\mathbf{x})=f\left(f(x_1,x_2,x_3)\right)[/tex]
But [itex]\,f(x_1,x_2,x_3)=f\left(x_1(1,0,0)+x_2(0,1,0)+x_3(0,0,1)\right)=x_1f(1,0,0)+x_2f(0,1,0)+x_3f(0,0,1)=\,[/itex]

[itex]\,=(-x_1,-2x_1,-3_x1)+(2x_2,2x_2,2x_2)+(0,x_3,2x_3)=\,[/itex]...etc.

Another, much easier way: write your lin. transf. as a matrix wrt the canonical basis:[tex]f\longrightarrow \left(\begin{array}{rrr}-1&-2&-3\\2&2&2\\0&1&2\end{array}\right)[/tex] so that [tex]f(\mathbf{x})\longrightarrow \left(\begin{array}{rrr}-1&-2&-3\\2&2&2\\0&1&2\end{array}\right)\begin{pmatrix}x_1\\x_2\\x_3\end{pmatrix}[/tex] and then [tex]f^2\longrightarrow \left(\begin{array}{rrr}-1&-2&-3\\2&2&2\\0&1&2\end{array}\right)^2[/tex]

DonAntonio

Thank you for your reply DonAntonio, very helpful!

A minor correction. That looks like the transpose of the matrix that you want. The columns should be the respective images of the standard basis vectors.

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps input values to output values in a linear manner. It involves scaling, rotating, reflecting, and shearing a set of points in a coordinate system.

2. How is a linear transformation represented?

A linear transformation can be represented by a matrix, which contains the coefficients used to transform the input values. It can also be represented by a vector function, where the inputs and outputs are represented as vectors.

3. What are the properties of a linear transformation?

Some common properties of a linear transformation include preserving the origin, preserving parallel lines, and preserving proportions. It also follows the rules of addition and scalar multiplication.

4. How is a linear transformation used in real-world applications?

Linear transformations have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and economics. They are used to model and predict real-world phenomena, such as motion, growth, and optimization problems.

5. What are some common examples of linear transformations?

Some common examples of linear transformations include rotations, translations, dilations, reflections, and shears. These can be seen in everyday objects such as maps, graphs, and computer animations.